Monday, October 30, 2006

Dirty Martini, Anyone?

I am just not into Halloween this year. I used to love it as a kid and even into adulthood. It was so much fun dressing up as a pirate, a soldier, or a hobo and going door to door to get free stuff. What could be better? I’d knock on a door, utter three little words, and poof; I’d get something sweet.

Of course sometimes I would get seven pennies, or a tootsie roll, or worst of all, those peanut butter candies wrapped in the generic orange and black wax paper. God, those were awful. But I would carry on; traversing the neighborhood in search of the Holy Grail of Halloween treats…the elusive full size candy bar. Three Musketeer, Hershey, or Nestle Crunch, it didn’t matter…if I got a full size bar of anything, the night was a success.

Later in life, Halloween went from innocently scavenging the neighborhood for delicacies dressed in something cute or funny to a bacchanalian blow out at a friend’s house dressed in something gross or offensive. I remember seeing friends with fake blood all over themselves with a coat hangar through their head, deranged zombies, and slobbering freaks. I’ll never forget the time I went to a party and saw my buddy Alan, soaking wet, sitting in a wheelchair. I asked him what the hell he was supposed to be. He said, “Leon Klinghoffer.” Ha….rude but clever. That was the same night I hurled the night’s alcoholic intake from my mouth and nose just as Linda Blair had done years earlier. The innocence had been irrevocably lost.

When I became a responsible member of the community and passed out candy myself, I did it for all the wrong reasons. I wasn’t trying to put a smile on a child’s face or, delight in watching the young goblins enjoy an old tradition. I handed out candy so I could check out all of the hot mothers in the neighborhood. Inevitably, one mother said to me, “Aren’t my two little ones adorable?” And staring at her chest I said, “Yes they are, but they are anything but little.” Needless to say, I rarely saw her or her kids from that night on.

I guess age and familiarity have pushed me towards going sour on Halloween. As I have grown older, I have noticed that the world is scary enough as it is, and around here, it’s hard to tell who is dressed in costume and who is not. But to those of you who will be reveling in the holiday, I salute you.
Cheers…

And Now, Our Moment of Motto…

Alaska: “There’s No Place Like Nome…”

15 comments:

Unknown said...

The holiday has certainly lost a lot of its charm for me. It's still my favorite, though it's slowly being outpaced by the 4th of July. As an adult, blowing stuff up is really starting to trump the whole braving freezing wind and rain for candy bit.

Although I did have my baccanalian night at a Halloween party on Saturday. ;)

PS- you are quite the ladies man.

Schmoop said...

Always quick with a compliment, Allie...

Schmoop said...

Oh by the way...I want pictures!!!

Steven said...

I don't even open the door on Halloween anymore...

Fuck those kids. ;)

Steve~

Schmoop said...

Ha...You're a mess!! Rude, Simple statements like that make me laugh.

Lizza said...

Every day is Halloween for a lot of people--they're always scary! Good thing you aren't one of them. Oh, go easy on the chest-staring thing this year, ok? :-D

Schmoop said...

Why thank you, Lizza. As far as the chest staring, it will be hard to cease my ogling!!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have a martini tonight while I wear my Matt-Man T-shirt.....

Schmoop said...

You're a good man Joe. Make sure to get a picture of you wearing it as you slug back a drink so I can post it for all of the world to see.

Jessica said...

That is a super cute Halloween costume!

I am not in the mood for Halloween this year either, yet. Running outta time.

Schmoop said...

I would love to drink that up!! And make it a double...

Cheesy said...

LMAO @ "anything but little"
I'm so proud to know ya!!
MattM~~ I havent had a trick or treater in 22 yrs.. but when we all lived in town and the kids were wee.. ~~ used to take them door to door and we would follow closely with our shot glasses,, gadz I miss Halloween! Good times

Schmoop said...

Right back at ya Cheesy!! You certainly celebrated the correct way. Cheers

Merritt Fields said...

I like the cute little kids. It's the 16 year olds who come to the door at 9pm with no costume and an old pillow case and don't even bother to say "Trick or Treat" that really piss me off.

Schmoop said...

I concur...At least put out some effort !!