Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Give Me Liberty...Not a Fife


Last night I was sipping a bit of the Sweet Lucy I do so enjoy, and was thinking about the famous painting, “The Spirit of ‘76”. This is the painting by Archibald Willard that shows a bandaged fife player, two drummers and a flag bearer courageously carrying out their duty during the American Revolution.

Mr. Willard’s bold brushstrokes bring to life the daring, determination, and grit with which these brave men led our rag tag forces into battle against the greatest army of the time. The countenance of the gray haired drummer illustrates the resoluteness by which the struggle for freedom is cemented.

The painting depicts something more as well….

It brings to mind, that when in war, these are the worse freakin’ jobs to be assigned!! I mean c’mon if I have to go into battle, give me gun, a sword, or at least a good solid baseball bat. I don’t want to be the guy to initially meet the enemy simply bangin’ on a drum, tootin’ a flute, or carryin’ a piece of cloth on a stick.

Seriously, if I am attacked what am I gonna do…Use my drumsticks as primitive nunchuks while staring at the pointy end of a bayonet. Hell they’re not even rattan!! Or, I guess I could use my flag as a net and cast it over the British while balls o’ lead whiz by my noggin’. And alas, there’s a chance that I could emulate the Pied Piper and start playing a hypnotic tune, cajoling the Red Coats into gleefully marching away from battle.

NO THANKS….I want a weapon, a REAL weapon. If those band buddies want to march into glory, that’s fine, but as for me, give me an accurate flintlock and a fast horse.



And Now…Our Moment of Hinn

“I can tell you this, if it wasn't for my book royalties, I'd be in debt.”

--Benny Hinn

5 comments:

Schmoop said...

I Love you too...

Unknown said...

I often wonder why we don't have guys like that in modern warfare... No wonder morale is so low! It's not that there is lack of support for the war. It's because there isn't anybody to play Yankee Doodle Dandy as they patrol they streets of Tikrit!

Schmoop said...

And the old uniforms they are wearing would go MUCH better with all of the pretty flowers that are neb and women were greeted with...

Schmoop said...

um...MEN and women....I have no idea were I got "neb"

Schmoop said...

Him and Rod Parsley Both !! It is funny until one thinks about the people who are getting ripped off...Thanks for the ecomment.