Monday, October 23, 2006

Gift Cards and Aging Cheese

October is a busy B-Day time in my life. Two of my brothers have their birthday this month. One was on the first and the other is today. One of my nieces also has her’s today. Tomorrow marks my son’s 12th birthday. Of course we celebrated Hair Care Joe’s big day last week. Thursday marks the 27th year in the life of the Gouda Girl. I shudder to think wonder what nearly three decade old Gouda smells like?

When I was growing up, birthdays were not such big deals. You got a card, a five dollar bill, and you got to pick out what you wanted Mom to cook for supper. Typically, none of my brothers and sisters came around for my Birthday. I don’t know if it was because they hated me, or the fact that I always picked out liver and onions for supper.

My son is making out quite well, on the gift front. He really digs getting gift cards. It’s like he’s giving the world the finger. “Yeah, thanks for the football Dad, but from now on, I’d prefer the variety and accessibility that only a gift card can provide.” Actually, while he might think that, he would never say it. He truly is one of the most grateful people (adults included) that I know. I’ll never forget what he said to me three Christmases ago after he had opened his presents, “Dad, I am one lucky kid.”

Oh little man can be a real pistol as well. He loves to publicly correct his grandmother’s grammar and pronunciation of certain words. He gives his mom a hard time whenever the mood strikes, and he enjoys mentally abusing me. A good example of this torture took place last spring. Although I am not a practicing Catholic, I decided to give up any type of meat for Lent. One of the days of the week that I see little man is Saturday mornings. During Lent, Ryan’s highlight of the week was heating up Friday night’s leftover Sausage and Pepperoni pizza for breakfast. He then would sit next to me, and describe (as he ravaged the lovely, grease laden delight) how goooood it tasted. He nearly choked a few times as he laughed maniacally. It was painful for me, but I would have done the same thing when I was his age.

The funny thing about today’s post is that it is completely different than what I intended to write about. I was going to write about an unfortunate birthday outing that took place when I was at Bowling Green, but when I thought of my son, every other thought went out the window. It made think that the most powerful force in the world is not nukes, or Mother Nature, or even the IRS. To me, the most powerful force in the world is a smile on my son’s face and the love that he and I have for each other.


And Now, Our Moment of Motto…

Ohio: “Dear God in Heaven, Help Get Strickland Elected”

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Your love for your son is so damn powerful, Matt-Man. It's always wonderful to hear about him. You done good.

Oh yes... and while your quip about aged Gouda was quite good, I fear the joke's on you: it's on the 26th... ;)

Schmoop said...

D'oh....I had the Thursday part right.....

Schmoop said...

Hey wait aminute I was right. I said it was your 27th B-Day....Matt-Man: Always Right.

Steven said...

Enjoys mentally absusing you, huh?

I like this kid already. ;)

Steve~

Schmoop said...

Yeah Steve, how can I complain when he gets it from me?

Anonymous said...

Pizza during lent; not as good as fried bologna at your house while playing football on your knees.

Schmoop said...

Ha...Definitely a post for the future my good man.

Anonymous said...

The last time my knees got that much attention, I was serving time. Get it....knee pads...kneel and bob.

Schmoop said...

Yeah I get it, and I know, "You'll be here all week..."

Janna said...

Wow, how sweet. Y'know, it's hard to be snarky when you're all sincere and heartwarming and nice like that.
I didn't even know you HAD a son, and the Earth momentarily stopped turning while I tried to wrap my head around that freaky bit of info. (Does he know about you and Rachael?)
1) Do you really like liver and onions? If so, you are evil and must be destroyed.
2) When I was a kid, I used to correct my relatives' grammar and pronunciation too. I was ruthless. I still notice it, but now I've learned to keep my mouth shut-- most of the time. :)

Janna said...

Heyyy, wait a minute, Thursday IS the 26th, isn't it??? So it's her 27th birthday, but it's on the 26th, right? So Matt-man DID get it right... didn't he? Am I missing something here?
Where's my medication...?

Schmoop said...

Hi Janna, he's one of the few things that melt the Matt-Man. No, I cannot let him know about the torrid day of passion with Rachel Ray. As far as liver...Good God I Love It!! And yes I did get it right, Take that Gouda!!

Unknown said...

Hey Matt-Man- I tried to e-mail you something and it got bounced. What up wit dat?

Unknown said...

Oh and dammit, I read it as the 27th and not as my 27th birthday! THat's what happens when you turn 27 on the 26th. Confusion.

Schmoop said...

No idea Allie...Maybe my 'puter hates you....

Unknown said...

It's just jealous.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love to see a man who loves his child so much! And you can't top a kid who's smart enough to screw with you.

Schmoop said...

Ha....Damn straight Aisby. He's way too frickin smart at times!!

Laura said...

Matt-Man - I've never eaten organ meat. (No sexual innuendo intended with the mention of the word "organ".) It just seems wrong somehow, to eat something that an animals uses to filter wastes and toxins out of its body. Steak and kidney pie? Uh, no thanks.

I found your writing about your son very heart-warming, too. Very strange to read something heart-warming on here. I mean, apart from the Hair Care Joe posts.

Schmoop said...

I'll go back to being my crass and callous self tomorrow, Laura. Yeah, alot of people arent fans of organ meat. I think liver is the only one I have eaten, other than the one time I made a spinach, cheese and pig spleen quiche.

Lizza said...

Matt! You can actually be sweet??? Your words about your son in this post are touching. But I bet my bottom peso that he'll grow up to be a smartass like his daddy. :-)

(And advanced birthday greetings to Allie!)

Janna said...

Yes, wouldn't it be something if he grew up to be just like his dad?
He's probably starting out on those little "travel size" bottles of WIR already...
Watch out! :)

Schmoop said...

Thanks Lizza, and rest assured he is well on his way to becoming a sweet but sarcastic young man just like his dad.

No drinks for the little one, Janna, I'll make sure of that. Cheers...