Monday, August 20, 2007

Nervous Laughter

Tomorrow is a big day. My son Ryno will be going back to school as a seventh grader, and a couple of months later he will be a teenager…a TEENAGER. It is with great and joy, but also great trepidation that I reflect upon this fact. I had many a good time during my teen years, but these years can also be filled with heartbreak, anxiety, and acts of mischief that do not necessarily lend one’s self to getting a pat on the back from Mom, Dad, or one’s Principal.

When I am with Ryno, I am just fascinated. When I look at him it is like looking into a mirror. It annoys him when I do that, and he will often say, “Yes Dad, I know I look like you, but at least I have hair.” To which I typically reply, “Enjoy it now because when you look at my bald head you are looking at your future.” I try to offer encouragement whenever I can.

We indeed look pretty similar, but it is the utterances that emanate from his mouth that not only make me laugh, but strike fear into me as well. His biting sarcasm and wit echo the same brand of humor that got me into more than my share of trouble with teachers and my parents in my teen days. My son has a habit of correcting everybody’s grammar especially his Grandma. While I find it funny because I used to do that, most find it highly annoying. I cant wait to see the fallout when he does it to one of his English teachers.

When I was in 8th grade I got several days detention because I sang a song in the Talent Show that I was not supposed to sing. It was an old Mason Williams’ song called “Doodle Dashers”. I was such a rebel. This past year my son sang a Tom Lehrer song called “Werner Von Braun” at his Talent Show. The administration wasn’t really thrilled about it, although I thought it was gas.

I can only imagine the Principal’s reaction to Ryno’s musical number for this year’s show. My thoughtful little man has his heart on once again dipping into the Tom Lehrer songbook and singing “Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.” Can a son make a father any more proud? No, I say, and I hope he realizes how proud I am of him after he does that song, because the only people that will want to be around him will be a PETA Hit Squad.

I am not really trying make any kind of point with this post (Ed. Note: No Shit!!) other than I find it amazing it is that I can look back and see how I was some thirty years ago through the words and actions of my son. Hell, Ryno says what he thinks much like I did, and he even takes it on me. I took him out for lunch last week and I ordered Iced Tea to drink. For some reason he doesn’t find Iced Tea to be a manly drink, because he called me a “Tea Drinking Ninny”. How Sweet….

So tomorrow, the next leg of his academic and social journey begins. I already know it will start off with a bang as he has told me what the first thing he is going to say to his teachers. Saturday Ryno said to me, “You know what I am going to say to my teachers Tuesday, Dad?” Cringng, I asked, “Oh dear God, what honey?” In a dead on Mel Gibson as William Wallace accent he said, “You can take my summer, but you can’t take my FREEEEDOM.” Ah yes, let the games begin.

Cheers!!

36 comments:

Odat said...

Be afraid, be very afraid, you
"tea drinking ninny"!!!
Peace

none said...

lol cool kid. He's got style.

RW said...

Hahaha yep my kid is starting High School and she likes football players "YIKES" to this I always replies no no no no (you see I was a football player)

Schmoop said...

Odat: Oh I am Odat, very afraid. Cheers!!

Hammer: If his grades stay good and he doesnt personally hurt someone, I can live with him getting in trouble from time to time for being a sarcastic ass. Cheers!!

Roger: I hope there's no illegal motion in the backfield!!

Cheesy said...

please let me know when that handsome hunk of kid starts dating please.... :o)

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: He already tells me that "chicks dig me". Well we shall see and I'll keep you updated lovely one. Cheers!!

Desert Songbird said...

Reading about Ryno puts a smile on my face. He does indeed seem very much like his father, much to the chagrin of his mother, I'm sure. But with his intelligence, caustic wit, brilliant comebacks, and sensitive intuition, how can he go wrong? No wonder chicks dig him!

Schmoop said...

Songbird: The little shit has the god given ability to make a room light up when he enters. Hell his Aunt and Uncle in Chicago fixed an extra bedrooom for him for when he comes to town!! And they already have two kids.

One thing, he is sensitive and despite being a caustic funny man, I see many broken hearts in his future. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

They loose me after the bunker scene....

Anonymous said...

I'm a doodle dasher....

The Boy said...

The boy like Lehrer? You've raised him well!

As an aside, did you know male baldness is generally inherited through the female line? So you get something more to blame his mum on...

Schmoop said...

AH: What the hell are yo utalking about Haircare?

Jeff Craig: Ah the bully whom I put in his place.

Boy: HA...Yes he has loved Lehrer for over a year. It makes me proud. And I'll make sure to pass the cause of his hair loss onto him. Cheers!!

Natalia said...

Those were some FUN times! I hope his are just as amazing.

-N

katherine. said...

I found it really bizarre when my daughter played out the same behavior patterns I did...some of which she never knew about...

I have a bit of an unusual parenting experience...but learned early on to be very good at crossing swords with teachers and school administration.

Schmoop said...

Nat: I had great times back then, and yes, I hope he has just as much fun as I did. Cheers!!

Katherine: You are exactly right. Some stuff he does, he has no idea that I did it as well. And I, like you, will take his position over any teacher or administrator unless proven otherwise...It's already happened. Cheers!!

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Like my mother keeps reminding me on a daily basis... You will and are paying for your raising...

Dear God help us all... ;-)

Schmoop said...

Dixie: His mom and I always tell him, "Ryan, when we emabarass you in your teen years, dont just get mad, take notes. That way you can pass the emabarassment on to your own kids." Cheers!!

Laura said...

The hair thing - my brother isn't quite as bald as my dad was, but the men in my mother's family all had hair, so it's definitely not passed on the mother's side. I think it's a complicated genetic thing like everything else! Won't that make Ryan feel better when he started losing his locks?

Seventh grade! Wow! Good times for others. Not for the ubergeeks, as I was. Glad Ryan is not an ubergeek! He'll do great!

Schmoop said...

Laura: Mother's side or not, I want thim to live in fear of losing it. He's not an ubergeek but he strikes me as uber-odd, and I like it. Cheers!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

When does he hit 13? Kidlet turns thirteen the beginning of December and she too starts 7th grade in about 2 weeks. She loathes teenagers though and refuses to be referred to as one. So it is being billed as her "Baker's Dozen" b-day.

And I hear you. She is the spitting image of her father until she opens her mouth!

Liz Hill said...

And he's got you for all that wonderful advice on dating ;-)

Schmoop said...

Starrlight: He turns 13 in late October. As far as he goes he thinks he's a big man now. Cheers!!

TB: My dating advice to him will ensure that he doesn't get laid until he's 28, and that is just the way I want it!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, Matt-Man! As we say here in the south, you're going to "pay for your raising".

My daughter looks so much like me, it is scary. She acts even more like me. She's only four and I find myself getting into verbal fighting matches with her. Trouble is...sometimes she wins! She's witty, that one!!

Good luck, I think you'll need it. *LOL*

Anonymous said...

Babygirl does the same things and uses the same alibis I did! (Needless to say, she doesn't get away with much. I HOPE!) Tell Ryno good luck in school and that "under the bleachers" is too cliche!

Schmoop said...

Crazy: It's gonna be rough but I think for the most part Ryno is gonna make me proud and laugh for years. Cheers and good luck to you as well!!

Metal: So far Ryno only has eyes for Maria Sharapova, so I dont think "under the bleachers" is anywhere in our near future. Cheers!!

Raven said...

Ahhh children getting older. The fun times start when you wonder if your vet will implant an RFD chip on them for you.
Which do you fear more...that you will know everything he is getting into...or that you won't?

Schmoop said...

Raven: Ha..Good to hear from you Raven and I know that you have the experience. I'll have to get back to you on this answer. Cheers!!

Travis Cody said...

He sounds like a great kid. But you knew that.

Cheers!

Schmoop said...

Travis: I couldnt be more proud but I cant take too much credit, he just kinda came into this world that way. I got pretty damn lucky. Cheers!!

Lisa Ryan said...

Love this post Matt-man. Hope Ryno has a great day tomorrow! Every age is fun, you'll enjoy them all and continue to learn from each other! Now I want to hear this doodle dasher song. :-)

jillie said...

A teenager huh? This is the ONE (ok, one of few) reason why I don't have kids. I'm afraid of what of karma would have dished out for me...lol

Glad I had a forgiving mother ;o)

Cheesy said...

28>???? Cripes I'll be a shriveled up ol' prune by then.. oh wait.. I already am....

Sparky Duck said...

yep. you are totally totally screwed

Kila said...

Have a great first day, Ryno! Your teachers are in for a treat :)

Schmoop said...

Lisa: I will find the lyrics and send them to you. You'll be "shocked".

Jillie: Say what you will, I've read your blog for quite awhile and you have good Karma. But dont worry, I wont tell anyone.

Cheesy: So you want to date my son when he is older? I dont think I want to be drooling over my son's girlfriend!!

Sparky: It's the Circle of Life my good man.

Kila: He already attacked his teachers at the Open House last night. Thanks for stopping by again.

P. Rocerin said...

A friend of mine mentioned 2012 last night to me and it's the first I heard about it so I jumped on here out of curiosity. I think it's kind of sick and sounds like a bunch of skeptical jargon.