Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Change of Pace

A very sexy, newish reader came across the following post that I had written about a year ago.

She asked that I post it again because she really liked it, and thought those who haven't read yet, would as well.

So not being able to deny the requests of a sexy woman, here is the post about my four years playing Little League baseball, although it is really a story about much more than that.

Our team was looked upon as a team of troublemakers, punks…an affront to upper-middle class sensibilities..

Our best pitcher, Goody, would unintentionally, yet quite frequently hit the opposing batters.


When running the bases we would never slide on a close play; we would plow into the kid that was trying to tag us out.

During the game, expletives freely flew from our pre-teen mouths. Even our coach would routinely get ejected for arguing with the ump.

In addition to our less than gracious manner, the majority of our players couldn’t hit well, field the ball, or run very fast.

In spite of our lack of skills, we were playing baseball…the way it was intended to be played. Of course how we played only reinforced the perceptions of the other parents as to who we were.

The league in which we played was composed almost entirely of kids from well-to-do white families who all claimed to have had ancestors aboard the Mayflower.

Our team was made up of poor and middle class white trash and yes, Blacks!! Even our coach…Black!! Oh the humanity!!

Our fathers weren’t doctors, lawyers, and bankers. We were the sons and even the daughter (Brooke) of working class stiffs who got uppity and had moved to the “Pleasant Valley Sunday” end of town.

It was the Summer of ‘74 and the unspoken prejudices of an “integrated” society were being felt…race and class issues, taking the field along with us.

It wasn’t really the players on the other teams that were the jerks. It was, of course, their parents.

Their anal retentive dads wearing cashmere in 90 degree heat and sporting mid-70s state of the art LCD watches would view the game while their frigid wives would whine that Little Johnny wasn’t playing enough.

And of course if Little Johnny did get to play, they would complain to the league that we were being too rough because Little Johnny got run over by one of us as we tried to score.

The truth was, that those parents just didn’t like who we were, or what we were…

But, even though we were young, we knew what was going on and we reveled in it. We put it right back in the faces of those pretentious phonies.

Our catcher, Biscuit, who happened to be one of our black players, would mimic the South African Khoi-Khoin clicking language as the batter stood in the box waiting for the pitch.

Instead of saying “Hey Batter, Batter” our team would murmur “Mama’s Boy, Got No Bat”.

Our plowing into their basemen got harder, and our amusement with the “Pod Parents” became much more noticeable.

We were the Little Rascals on Meth.

We slowly, yet steadily improved over those four years. We won three games the first year, four the next, and six the third year. All the while enduring the scorn of the “pretty people”.

In our last year together, Goody, managed to hit fewer batters and throw more strikes.


Brooke caught every fly ball near her, and ran the bases like a deer. Biscuit’s tongue was not the only thing clacking, as he sent more than a couple of fastballs over the fence.

And me, I batted .542 that season, and we went 13-3.

We had been so bad for so long and now we were league champions, and when the final out had come, our parents stood and clapped, but the best thing was…so did all of the others.

That was 30 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

We were a group of kids who overcame a lack of skills and turned racial and class prejudices into a motivational tool.

We avoided turning any anger we felt inward, and instead, put it out there in the form of playground humor and a nicely turned double play.

In the end, not only did we win…Everybody won.

And there you have it.

I hope you come back tomorrow for a rock n rollin’ Half Nekkid Thursday.


Cheers!!

43 comments:

Marilyn said...

I'm almost positive I read this the first time you posted it... and I'm so glad you posted it again. I needed to read something uplifting.

Dana said...

What a nice trip down memory lane (yeah, I know ... cheesy). When I started reading this, I immediately remembered the feelings it generated the first time and damn if they didn't come back!

Lu' said...

First thought Bad News Bears. Very nice read Matt-Man.

Schmoop said...

Marilyn: Why thank you. It is one of my favorites. Cheers!!

Dana: You're even sexier when you're cheesy. Cheers Dana!!

Lu: Thank ya Lu. Have a lovely Hump Day. Cheers!!

RW said...

Thats a great post Matt!

Schmoop said...

Roger: Thanks my good man. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll admit it. I teared up a little. Thanks for sharing!

Schmoop said...

Lady Jaye: Awww. Well I hope you liked it. Cheers!!

Kimmie said...

Very touching Matt. I love stories like these. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Kimmie

Schmoop said...

Kimmie: Thank Ya. Cheers!!

Odat said...

I was rooting for ya all the way! It was nice the second time around too!!!
Peace

btw, is that a pic of Ryno??? If not, it sure looks like him.

Schmoop said...

Odat: Ha. No silly, that's Spanky. ; ) But no, the one pic I just pulled from the internets. Cheers Odat!!

Snigglefrits said...

That was most excellent, I truly enjoyed it.

As to Half Nekkid Thursday, is that something that can be celebrated at work you reckon? Things have been boring around the office lately...

Schmoop said...

Sniggle: Thanks and thanks for stopping. HNT not only CAN be celebrated at work...It's encouraged. Cheers Snig!!

Unknown said...

That’s a nice change of pace, Matt-Man.

Schmoop said...

Nick: Why thank ya sir. Have a good day. Cheers Nick!!

Tug said...

they would complain to the league that we were being too rough because Little Johnny got run over by one of us as we tried to score.

Wow. I thought I was the only one that ran over Little Johnny trying to score. ;-)

Schmoop said...

Starr: Cool. I'll save a spot for ya right next to me. Cheers Starr!!

Tug: You play rough. Mmmmmmm, I like that. Cheers Tug!!

Knight said...

Beautiful story. Don't the blue bloods know that in the great American sport of baseball your are supposed to bleed?

Schmoop said...

Knight: Thanks and Damn right, Knight. I have as much right to the base I'm going to as the guy trying to block it.

Nothing is as American as raised baseball spikes plunging into a guy's knee. Cheers!!

Desert Songbird said...

OMG - I was thinking about this post last week, and I almost asked you to post it again because you've had so many new readers join lately. I adore this post; this is by far your very best.

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Ooooo Weeee Ooooo. How about that!?

Yeah, it is one of my faves too. It's so...um...un-me. Thanks dear and Cheers!!

Ginormous Boobs said...

I love stories that involve bad behavior and balls!

Sandee said...

Excellent post Matt-Man. You could be a motivational speaker you know. Just saying. You kids did it right. Awesome. Have a great day. :)

Schmoop said...

GB: I love then too, because they lead to comments from chicks with big boobs. ; ) Cheers!!

Sandee: Ya think? Thanks for the comment and Cheers!!

Liz Hill said...

Ahhhh I love this post! I'm glad you posted it again.

Schmoop said...

TB: Thanks, I do too. I should post it every baseball season. I just wish I could find one of my team pictures. Cheers!!

j said...

Hey Matt! It was a first time read for me and I loved it. In fact, we are living it right now. A kid playing baseball and a kid playing softball, and we are racking up lots of losses. But the moral of the story is don't give up, right? Well, and show the snot wads what you are made of, too.

It was well written and a great way to really get my day started - at 12:00.

Jen

Anonymous said...

...beats the hell outta the bathroom...

Schmoop said...

Jen: Well thank you very much. I think everybody has gone through this in one form or another. Whatever it takes, baby. Cheers and enjoy your second hour of the day!!

Phfrankie: What the...? But my bathroom movie was a tear jerker. Cheers!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

That's inspirational and motivating. Makes me want to go out and hit balls at the rich white players right now. Oh wait, that wasn't the point, was it?

Schmoop said...

VE: Good luck finding one!! Cheers!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Kills me to say so, but this is just as good the second time around

LOL

Anonymous said...

I don't like sports. My sports hero is a dead horse. D:

But I liked reading that. =D

Travis Cody said...

Not only is this one of my favorite posts from you, but I think it's one of my favorite posts I've read during my blogging career.

Schmoop said...

Bond: Why thank ya Vinny. Cheers!!

Motley: Sorry 'bout your horse, but thank you. Cheers Motley!!

Travis: Wow...Why thank you very much Travis. Cheers!!

Cheesy said...

Spanky... Spank me cuz I have tears and I don't want people thinking I've gone soft......

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: Soft or not, you are still adorable. Cheers Cheesy!!

Jeff B said...

This was as good this time around as it was before. Great life lessons.

Schmoop said...

Jeff: Thanks Jeff and it's good to see ya. Cheers!!

katherine. said...

yeah yeah...its one my faves too...don't get tired of all of the adulation???

j/k...it really is great.

Schmoop said...

Kat: Fortunately, I have very little ego. ; ) Cheers Kat!!

desert rat said...

What an awesome and timely post! I went to a D-Backs/Tigers game (4-3) last night and read this today. THIS is what baseball is supposed to be about!

An aside: Did you know that since steroid testing has been instigated there have been something like 1,000 fewer home runs hit this season compared to last season? It's back to "small ball," boys!

I think I need a hot dog.