Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday Morning Church Disservice: Happy Mother's Day!!

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you muthas and welcome to Sunday in Bagwine, Ohio.

It is going to be 57 and rainy here today, which is fine because I have to work anyway.

I am off to get a hanging basket for Ryno to give to his Mom, come back here to take a shower, and then be at work by 10:45 A.M..

Weeeeeeeeee. It’s good to be the King.

My service today revolves around one of the greatest women I have ever known…My mom.

Mary may have been the Blessed Virgin and the bearer of the Holy Baby Jeebus, but my mom bore nine sarcastic SOBs.

AND, did a damn good job at it. Top that Miss “Quit Your Whining Joseph, it Truly was Immaculate” Mary. Ha!!

My mom raised seven boys and two girls pretty much on Dad’s one income, a plethora of meatloaf, and a bolo paddle.

She did of course, save the best, Me, for last, and thus she was worn out by then and I escaped the paddling.

My mom could make ten dollars last ten weeks, and you’d still feel loved, well fed, and like you were King of the World.

For most of her life, she worked hard raising the kids, taking care of the house, and spending time at the Principal’s office.

My mom did it all…from being involved in politics, attending every damn boring school program, and being a devout Catholic.

I should put a caveat on that last part…Being a devout American Catholic. She loved the Church, but constantly bitched about the hierarchy.

In spite of her half German (or more accurately, Prussian) roots, she wasn’t a big fan of Blitzkrieg Benny being elected Pope.

She buried her oldest son, her husband of 53 years, along with many other things that she wanted to do.

But to her, she had the job of raising a family, and she did it well. And all the while, with an incredible sense of humor.

So Mom, even though you’ve been gone almost two years, you are still ever present with me, and the remaining brood.

I know that at least for me, any sadness of your passing has been replaced with moments of chuckling when I think of you.

And that, is as it should be…

So in spite of your anger over not one of your boys becoming a priest, enjoy this Mother’s Day.

Have a few beers with Dad, and brother Phil, and enjoy looking all young and sexy like in you did in that picture from years ago.

Amen, and Amen.

And now, our Sunday Serenade…Enjoy this song by Madness that kinda captures the feel of my house when growing up.





Cheers!!


If you get the chance, listen to Turnbaby's Blog Talk Radio show tonight at 8 EDT. For details, click HERE.

34 comments:

Deb Rox said...

That's a great theme song! Very sweet tribute.

Desert Songbird said...

Her of sainted memory, she sounds like a true gem. Mrs. Mahoney, may ye be smilin' in heaven - yer baby boy has turned out all right.

cathy said...

Our house was always full of kids. Apart from the 4 of us it contained most of our neighbours kids. Their parents wanted peace and quiet, our mum wanted to know where we were and what we were doing. She was and is a smart lady.

Liz Hill said...

Sounds like our moms had a bit in common.

What a sweet thing to remember her with laughter.

I adore Madness and that song always has reminded me of the chaos of a fully stocked home LOL

Thanks for the pimping sugar.

j said...

Your Mom was a pretty lady. I'm glad that you have good memories.

You are the youngest child, imagine that.

Happy Day to You Matt-Man.

Jen

The Ferryman said...

Great post. Your mother must have been a remarkable woman. And to think there were MORE like you at home...

Schmoop said...

Deb: Thanks Deb and for stopping by. Cheers!!

Songbird: She was swell. Her kids? Eh, so-so. Cheers Dear!!

Cathy: And it is apparent that she did a fine job raising her kids. Cheers Cathy!!

Schmoop said...

TB: Yes, it was chaotic at times, but always fun and never a dull moment. Cheers!!

Jen: Thanks and yes she was. Yep, I am the baby. And a Sunday child...It's no wonder that my name means, "Gift of God". Cheers!!

Mr. Fab: Thanks and they are all as disturbed as I. Cheers!!

Dana said...

Ya know Matt-Man, I really hate when I can't come up with a smart ass comment because your post touches my cynical heart, but here we are again! Great post!

Kimmie said...

Hi Matt,
I read your post, listened to the video, and as strange as this sounds, felt like I was a part of your family. Our lives have so many similarities.

As you already know, My Mom passed right after yours, and we both have lost a brother also. Let us say a prayer today during a quiet moment for all the great memories each of them have given us.
Hugs And Love To You Matty,
Kimmie

Odat said...

Yup, your Mom must have been a Saint!!! ;-)
This was a sweet tribute to her.....she should be proud of your sacastic ass!!!
Perfect song!

Peace

Schmoop said...

Dana: Oh come on, Dana...Surely you can find something sarcastic to say, dammit. Thanks and Happy Mother's Day to you. Cheers!!

Kimmie: I thought I would just drink several beers tonight after work and think about the blow out we had at their 50th wedding Anniversary. Man, we were all in the tank. Cheers!!

Odat: She was a saint...but you did not want to incur her wrath. Cheers to you!!

Leighann said...

A wonderful post Matty. Your mother must have had one hell of a sense of humor :)

Schmoop said...

Leighann: She had a sense of humor exceeded only by my Dad's. That man was a hoot when he wanted to be. Cheers!!

Lex Valentine said...

Hey! I'm the caboose too! I'm #6. And I choose to remember the amusing stuff too rather than continue to be sad that Mom's gone. Love the Madness song. Have a great day, Matt!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Nice tribute Matty. Glad you didn't give into the Monty Python take on Catholicism and give us Every Sperm Is Sacred. Mom would be pleased!

Cheesy said...

I see where you got your lovely gams now! What a knockout she is! This has been the week of fond remembering for me also.....bittersweet is an amazing flavor my friend... hugs to you and the family baby boy. Have a peaceful day Matty~~~

desert rat said...

I promised myself I would not stop by until I got some work done this morning but your posts suck me in like a black hole (except today, yours let some light escape!).

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman. Love the song!

Have a great day (despite that work thing)!

Tug said...

The sweet side of Matt - beautiful tribute to your mama (also beautiful)!

RW said...

Happy Mothers Day Matt ;D

Schmoop said...

Winter: I hope your day has gone well my fellow caboose. Cheers!!

Starr: But in my case...it was!! Cheers!!

Cheesy: She was a looker. Bittersweet always hurts a little but it tastes pretty good. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Desert Rat: The sucking you in thing was very touching as well. Have a lovely start to the week tomorrow. Cheers!!

Tug: Thanks. I have an even sweeter side...Wanna see it? Cheers!!

Roger: Ha. Same to you. Cheers!!

Lu' said...

Ah yet another thing we have in common, Prussian, on our Father's side of the family, Mom's side 100 % Italian. Our house was known as the crazy house on the corner.

Schmoop said...

Lu: I can't imagine why, Lu. ; )~ hope your weekend went well. Cheers!!

Lu' said...

Well along with literaly, we knew how to have a good time. Seemed our friends thought so. Weekend did go well thanks.

Travis Cody said...

Nice tribute. She sounds like a real gem.

Schmoop said...

Lu: Sounds just like my family Lu. Cheers to ya pal!!

Travis: Thanks and I hope you are healing well. Cheers!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

I could make a million dollars last 10 weeks....I think.

Nice tribute to mom.

Schmoop said...

VE: You have mad money skills my good man. Cheers!!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

loved this post, M2...you nailed it. I am applying it to my sweet departed mother.

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: Why thank ya. It's not like mom's don't stay with us even when gone. Cheers!!

katherine. said...

nine of you....NINE...she was a saint...and she must have loved your father very much.

a toast to her...

Unknown said...

I consider it grand for one to chuckle when thinking of one’s mom.

Ginormous Boobs said...

Your poor mother with nine of you!

But it sounds like there was probably never a dull moment in the house.