Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Old Speckled Hen Ale

Yeah, I know.

Yesterday I said that I wasn’t going to post until Wednesday, but…

A funny fucker who comes through the Beer Mine and is an occasional Bagwine reader came through Monday night.

He said:

“Matt-Man, I just bought a six pack of my second favorite beer of all-time. I wanted you try to one; so here, take this and try it later.”

After buying himself some already cold beer, I thanked him, he drove off, and I put the bottle in our beer cooler.

After it had properly chilled, I drank it after work Monday night. What beer is it, you ask?

It’s this…

Damn right, Bitches. It’s called Old Speckled Hen, and is produced by Morland Brewing Co. in England.

The verdict?

Good shit...damn good shit.

I dig the taste. I dig the name, and I dig the dude for the nicety of allowing me a free sample.

If you get the chance, give it a try. It’s not a domestic, somewhat shallow, all-day drinking kinda beer, but it is definitely a keeper.

Okay, now back to my short blogging break.

Cheers!!

16 comments:

Jeff B said...

After all the rude turds that came through the beer mine a few days ago, I'm sure this guy was a more than welcome change.

Schmoop said...

Jeff: Yeah Saturday sucked. Sunday, people were nice as they were Monday. I still dig most people, including the beer passer-onner. Cheers Jeff!!

Dana said...

I'm thinking Old Speckled Hen Ale might be the perfect compliment for Chicken Shit!

Schmoop said...

Dana: Ha Very Good. And...you are correct.

It is a very good beer and the relative fuller body of the beer would be a well founded juxtaposition to the lightness of the chicken. I say that just in case Doggy reads the comments. Cheers Dana!!

Mike said...

Accepting gifts on the job? What's next, running for congress?

Schmoop said...

Mike: Maybe...Wanna be my gay intern? Cheers Mike!!

Jay said...

I've heard of that beer, but never tried it.

Nice of him to give you a bottle like that. You can pay him back with a bottle of WIR. haha

Marilyn said...

seriously considering the purchase of a sixpack before Jasmine gets home and I have to be all responsible again.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Every time you talk about the Beer Mine, it reminds me of the Go-Mart down the street. Their marquee reads "New Beer Cave". I'll have to get a pic for you. :-)

Schmoop said...

Jay: He is a good dude and I gave him a Bagwine shirt some time ago. And yeah, try it. good stuff. Full taste but doesn't sit too heavy in the stomach. Cheers Jay!!

Marilyn: Good idea. Get your freak on while you can. Cheers Marilyn!!

Evil: Cool. I dig it. I like to see pics of places like that. Cheers and Thanks ETW!!

Michele said...

British ale are some of JR's favorites. I'll pass the info along.

Now, get outa here!

Schmoop said...

Michele: I liked it and perhaps JR will as well. I'm outta here soon. Going to go see Ryno for a few shortly and then off to work at 2. Have a wunnerful day. Cheers Michele!!

Ol' Man Bondo said...

...my personal favorite ale is Young Supple Moose...

Schmoop said...

P-Man: The Beastiality of Beers. Cheers P-Man!!

Dianne said...

ya just can't beat the juice of an old speckled hen

Schmoop said...

Dianne: It's good to "see" ya. Cheers Di!!