Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Hanukkah: The Other White Holiday

Being a man of open mind and open arms, I want to take some time today to embrace our Bagwine friends who get little mention. Last night, at sundown, the celebration of Hanukkah began. It is also referred to as Chanukah, The Festival of Lights, and around these parts, better known as, “That Jew Day”.

As I am always attempting to enlighten my readership, I feel it incumbent upon myself to shed some light on this holiday and demystify it. First of all, Hanukkah is not “That Jew Day”. It is in fact, “That Jew Week”. That’s right, unlike us Genitals who celebrate for merely an Eve and a Day in December, those of the Hebrew persuasion get to party on for an entire week.

Poor little Christian families wake up Christmas morning, open their presents, pretend to give a shit about the little baby Jeebus, and as quickly as it began, the kids are asleep, Mom and Dad are drunk, and the celebration is over.

Jewish families extend their celebration…Eight whole days of eating latkes and ponchkes…An entire week of spinning dreidels, guzzling Mogen and David, and receiving some serious gelt. Those are some lucky Jew kids. Of course a week of celebrating has its drawbacks as well.

See, on Christmas Day, you can get your family in and out in a matter of hours. Oh sure, Hanukkah may be eight days of presents, but it can also be an unending week of listening to Uncle Reuben complaining about the quality of the corned beef, cousin Jacob whining about the choice of caterer for his upcoming bar mitzvah, and aunts Esther and Ruth arguing over the amount of the cab tip. Oy Vay!!

Fun, games, and food abound during the Hanukkah festivities but we mustn’t forget the sacred roots that are responsible for all of this Jewish jocularity. A long time ago, the Selucid King, Antiochus IV Epiphanes, raided some Holy Temple, plundered it, and had Jewish slave labor erect a statue of Zeus. For whatever reason, this didn’t sit well with the Hebrew populous.

Later, the local Jewish group, known as the Maccabees, stormed the Temple and defeated the King’s army. To celebrate, they rededicated the Temple with a Festival of Lights. They lit a candle which was supposed to burn for one day, and amazingly it burned for eight (today's menorah). They saw this not only as a sign of the Almighty, but it also began the Jewish tradition of making shrewd business decisions.

To sum up, I guess we can see the Maccabees as the Jewish Santa Claus. The Maccabees defeated a mighty army which led to joy and celebration much like when our beloved Saint Nick defeated the Visigoths at The Battle of Waterloo in 1492 and afterwards handed out figs and remote controlled race cars to all of the kids.

So there you have it. I hope my research and dissertation on this joyous holiday has been helpful. If you are a teacher, feel free to duplicate this page, pass it on to your students, and have a discussion that will surely lead to better understanding and cultural awareness.

Happy Hanukkah to all, and to all, Lochaim!!

55 comments:

captain corky said...

I always new that Santa was a bit of a killer at heart.

Anonymous said...

I dread the 5 or so hours I will spend in drunken revelry with my family. I can't imagine 8 DAYS!!!

Schmoop said...

Corky: He may be a killer but he's no match for William Shatner. Cheers!!

Meatlmom: 8 days is unfathomable. Even with copious drink, I would thoroughly ponder a yuletide offing of myself...or others. Cheers!!

RW said...

Thanks for the background Matt I usually don't dig history but your brand is so interesting & funny lol Lochaim!!

Schmoop said...

Roger: You left out the word "accurate". Okay maybe there was a reason for that. Cheers Roger!!

Unknown said...

You know I need a history lesson today...so I came right over.

You need to know, I am updating my blog, and you now will find you are rolled on a whole new page...The End of the Universe Bar, it's where the cool people get to hang.

We got more snow last night...want any????

I took Rockdog's challenge and answered 8 of the questions he was asked...snuck a treat in my responses...you have to go read my blog to find out what though, and I want to know your elf name....the curiousity is killing me in fact.

Schmoop said...

Sassy: Glad I could provide some insight for you. Thanks for rolling me, that sounds hot!! We have gotten about three inches of snow today, but you are welcome to send more. I'll be by later today. Cheers!!

Desert Songbird said...

Matt-Man the teacher.

Gads, what a frightening thought.

Schmoop said...

Songbird: I would make a great teacher, because I am always "keepin' it real". Cheers!!

You can Call me AL said...

I can't wait to share my new found knowledge with my Jewish Boss, bet he lets me lite a candle.

Desert Songbird said...

Well, you would certainly have no problem getting a job at my kids' school - they'll hire anyone!

Schmoop said...

Al: By all means...I am here to spread peace and understanding. Hope my post comes in handy. Thanks for stopping and Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Do you really need to spite me during the Hanukkha Season? Unbelievable.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Because your readers are due some little form of respect, I submit to you that Saint Nick did defeat the Visigoths at the battle Of Waterloo in 1492 and did indeed hand out remote control race cars, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he also handed out figs.

Would you please do a tad more research the next time?

Durward Discussion said...

How nice of you to provide "The Rest of the Story". Whatever will you do with Purim? ... drunk by decree, funny costumes, screaming kids, and hamentoshen ...

All the Christian folks get are Easter Eggs.

Schmoop said...

Bond: While I have had accounts to the contrary about the handing out of the figs...II was referencing Nostradamus and his little known passage:

"Kids loved the figs
Handed out by a man
in a white wig".

I do respect your position on this part however. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Jamie: When is Purim this year? I will of course, do my best to give a full account on that combination of Jewish victory, Halloween, and the 4th of July. Cheers!!

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

I don't think I could handle 8 days with family ... I can hardly handle them at night..

but 8 days of getting constant gifts... OH YEAH!!! ;-) bring it on baby!!!!!!!!!!!

SMOOCHES~

Jeff B said...

That must have really pissed off all those kids. Having to wait nearly five undred years for the batteries for their new cars.

Odat said...

Oy Vay!!!!!

Peace

Schmoop said...

Dixie: No kidding about the family, what a Holiday buzz kill that would be. Cheers!!

Jeff: HA...I find you very amusing. Cheers!!

Odat: You had me at "Oy". Cheers!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

As Adam Sandler puts it, "8 Crazy Nights!"

Dang now I got the Hahukkah song stuck in my head...


David Lee Roth lights the mennorah...

Schmoop said...

Starrlight: Ha, I was going to put up a You Tube version of Sandler singing that. I love that song. Cheers!!

Liz Hill said...

Ahhh I can see you DID stock up on the WIR tee hee

Schmoop said...

TB: Ha...but of course, Rose Rocks!!

Marilyn said...

Wow. Thanks for the lesson.

Schmoop said...

Marilyn: Teach these things to your daughter. She will be better off for it. Cheers!!

none said...

I feel smarter now for some reason.
thanks matt man!

Schmoop said...

Hammer: For some reason I dont believe that, but thanks for saying. Cheers!!

the Book of Keira said...

You convinced me! I'm converting!

Casdok said...

Loved the pic!!

katherine. said...

I recently learned about the little Chanukah spinning toy the Dreidel....

interesting...the Hebrew letter "Nun" stands for the Yiddish word "Nit" which translates to "Nothing"

Dreidel (Dreydl) comes from the Yiddish word "Turn"

I haven't seen Dreidel-Baby yet...have you?

Leighann said...

Where have you been all my life? Jewish history and bondage chairs all on one page!

Is it hot in here?

Lisa Ryan said...

You do keep it real Matt-man! and I do enjoy your open (and totally without cynicism) mind. Thanks for the history lesson :-)

Schmoop said...

108: Very good. Prepare for your circumcision. Cheers!!

Casdok: Thanks and thanks for stopping by. Cheers!!

Kat: I do somethig called "spinning my dreidel" but it has nothing to do with a Jewish toy. The end result is however the same...I get nothing. Cheers!!

Leighann: Well Jews and Bondage do go hand in hand. Please stop by again and tie me up with your lasso of truth. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Bring on the latkes and ponchkes! YUM!
:-D)

Schmoop said...

Lisa: Why thanks I truly appreciate your comment. And because of that, I will refrain from making a superficial comment about your hotness. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Lois: No kidding, those latkes are Dee-Lish. Cheers and thanks for stopping by!!

Leighann said...

Well since you asked so nicely, I see it only fair to oblige!

*ties matt-man up*

Schmoop said...

Leighann: Mmmmmmmm thank you. Now I know how Lyle Waggoner felt. Cheers!!

Deb said...

Hrmm, never thought of it that way. I'm very appreciative now that I am a Christian due to the lack of days celebrated------reason being: relatives.

Ba!

:D

Schmoop said...

Deb: Every religion has pros and cons...The less time spent with relatives is a great plus for the Christians; I think it's compensation for being fed to the lions!! Cheers !!

Real Live Lesbian said...

I think I'll stick with Christmas...eight days of my family would send me over the edge! I need valium and liquor just to get thru as is.

Happy Jew Week!

Schmoop said...

Real: No matter what holiday it is, if it involves family liquor helps. I hope you are feeling better and a good week to you jew. Cheers!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

Maybe Santa and a Maccabee representative can team up for a holiday special...sort of like how Super Heroes team up to take more of your entertainment money...err...to fight crime together.

Schmoop said...

VE: Super Santa, Aqua Judah, and Shiksa Woman, meeting in the Temple of Justice. Cheers VE!!

Durward Discussion said...

Surprise Surprise I've given you an award. Stop by and pick it up.

Schmoop said...

Jamie: Well thank you very much. I will be right over. Cheers!!

Travis Cody said...

I like a bit of creativity and humor with my history.

Raven said...

8 days with my extended family?! I would need a hell of a lot more than alcohol to get me through. Thank the gods for Christian roots and pagan leanings. Two days is more than enough!

Unknown said...

Hell written, Matt-Man!

In note, however, that in the past (Middle Ages?) Christmas lasted 12 days (thus the song), from December 25 until January 6, Epiphany. However, in recent times we Americans have such a demand for immediate gratification that we can’t spread the celebration out for 12 days.

Happy Hanukkah! I’m very ecumenical.

Schmoop said...

Travis: I wish I could have offered you some. Shalom!!

Raven: I concur, Cheers to you!!

Nick: I know however I gusee we learned from our mistakes of long holidays. Cheers!!

maryt/theteach said...

Oh god Matt-man, ROFL! How clever!! And some of my best friends are Jews...Lochaim to you! What's funny is most of my students are Jewish ladies taking my course on literature in Cont. Ed. They would die laughing. Oops I better not say that, they are in their 70s, 80s. Ha!

My TT post is up at Answers to the Questions

maryt/theteach said...

Oh and btw, It says "less presents" on the picture accompanying your post. It's correct English to say "fewer presents." Pass that along to whomever owns the picture...

Schmoop said...

Teach: Ha....glad you enjoyed it. I caught the grammatical error as well. I'll be around sometime today. Cheers!!