Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Morning Church Disservice: Out of My Way, I'm a Christian, Dammit!!

It’s a hot, hazy Sunday in Bagwine, Ohio today.

But…I am actually rested up from my “week off” and ready to get back to being myself.

I have to work all day today, but before I go, I have an actual sermon for all of us…Specifically, for all of us “Christians” in the audience.

Something hit me last night at about 9:15 P.M., in between my 14th beer and my second pint of Wild Irish Rose…

Christians, suck.

Now hold on Nellie, not true Christians, but those who profess to be Christians.

I laugh at some of these charlatans such as Rod Parsley, Paul Crouch, Joyce Meyer, and Benny Hinn, but far more dangerous is the hypocrisy that lies within our family, our neighbors, ourselves.

Far too often of late, I have been called a “fucking asshole”, a “jerk”, and a whatever body part one might like up his or her ass…

Typically, I don’t mind these aspersions…in fact, I usually find them funny. But these are words coming from self-professed “Christians”.

I do not proclaim to be anything other than an imperfect being. I make fun of myself on a regular basis…sometimes to a fault.

Why in this day is there a proliferation of people that claim to be Jeebus personified and whine that they are being persecuted?

People who claim to want to help others and yet complain about how their money is wasted on the less fortunate.

People who want eternal salvation for all, but demand a price from others here on Earth.

People who judge others while refusing to look in the mirror…

I have often taken shots at the Little Baby Jeebus, but religion aside, his message is something that everyone should agree upon.

The Golden Rule, The Sermon on the Mount, the sending back of the veal cutlet because it was under done and over priced…

I also like Lao-Tzu, the founder of Taoism. Both LT and JC were wise. No matter your religious bent or not, both ideologies are sound…They were not radicals.

Unless of course, being nice to people is a radical idea.

Amen, and Amen…

And now, our Sunday Serenade...a poem from the late, great, Dad of Matt-Man. From 30 years ago, an illustration of the height of Christian hypocrisy…


Reflections On Northern Ireland

What Christians, we,
on Sunday morn,
who to Christ
lip service give.

In song, in prayer,
we hear His words,
and touch the Book
that holds His Rule.

With wine and bread
we are all fed;
we hail the Cross
to be the Grail.

But darkness comes,
and in His name,
each side is led.

And Christ again
is crucified,
beside the wounded
and the dead.

©1981 JJM


Cheers!!

Catch Turnbaby's BlogTalk Radio Show tonight at 8 EDT. For details, click HERE.

28 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Amen, I say to you, brother mine, Amen! I think the best Christians are those who are humble of heart and quiet of demeanor. Lead by example, not by words.

Ken said...

Your dad struck a chord so strong, I felt he needed to be somewhere on this Sunday morning here in E. Tennessee. My community is being torn in half over a murder trail that took place two years ago. I left his poem as a comment to start this Sunday as the jury still makes a decision. Hope you don't mind. Cheers to your dad!

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jul/27/houston-jury-still-mulling/#comments

Liz Hill said...

Thank you for sharing your dad's writing sugar--he really hit the nail on the head with that one ;-)

You want to know the really sad thing? Some of the worst offenders will look at this and think 'well of course he doesn't mean me"

Have a good day passing out the Rose.

Smooch

The Absurdist said...

So I am watching a comedian, and he says

"So you better get out there and start doing some serious sinning, or else jesus really did die for nothing."

And what I tell people when I piss them off, and they are Xtian is:

"Well, you're a Xtian. Forgive me."

Dana said...

ow odd, I was just doing some research on the new "non-identifiers" - the 25% of the young population who do NOT identify with any organized religion. Maybe our young people are becoming smarter!

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Humility indeed may be the single greatest virtue one can have. Cheers!!

Micky: I am glad it had meaning for your situation. And I don't mind at all. Thanks, and Cheers!!

TB: I wasn't talking about anyone from the Bloggyphere, but if it applies so be it. And thanks, I'll have a beer sellin fun for 8 hours today. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Abs: I like that joke. Ha. Cheers!!

Dana: I hope so, but man, Jeebus is gonna be one pissed off Messiah!! Cheers Dana!!

Ken said...

I just tried again. It didn't have any subject to the issue, now it does.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jul/27/jury-back-work-houston-trial/#comments

Cinnamon Girl said...

Jesus is just alright with me, but his followers have the tendency to seriously suck ass. Allah's can blow as well and - warning big giant non-political correctness about Jews alert- I don't think the Israelites are kickin' it so nicely these days either. Yeah I said it. Palestine is looking pretty bad for the PR campaign no matter how you slice the challah.

I was raised Greek Orthodox and honestly I do like to go to church, or I did when it was in Greek still. We had our own version of Vat II and went all anglo. It sucks.

I think Christ's message is a pretty simple one and I don't know that it takes a whole book of parables to get the point. The two stone tablets kinda sum it up. To me church is a place of beauty and peace where I can mediate. But then again, so is a country drive.

Dana - My daughter was baptized GO but she leans agnostic. I think that may end up being what saves this planet. A generation of kids raised without believing in one specific religious label.

Lex Valentine said...

For some people, being nice is blasphemous. They wouldn't know nice if it bit them in the ass. And someone should bite them in the ass. Just not me. I don't want the cooties. Happy Sunday, Matt!

Travis Cody said...

Perhaps the "best Christians" are those who don't feel the need to constantly remind us that they are Christians.

Dianne said...

Amen to travis - he took my comment and as the Christian that I NEVER feel the need to tell people I am I am pleased that he got here first. :)

I loved your Dad's poem - I copied it to have forever.

I'm very late today - we've been having really crazy storms and the power keeps going out. Maybe Baby Jeebus is pissed off at all the assholes who use his name! ;)

Jay said...

I thought Jeebus was all about keeping brown people out of our country and lowering taxes on corporations. Hmm .. must have misread something. ;-)

CreativeMish said...

Organized religion's tend to brainwash people into doing and believing certain parts of the rules. Its so simple! Just live as Jesus did. And love thy neighbor as thyself. Who did he hang out with? The sick, the weak, the thieves, the whores! He treated them all equal! I'm not to worry about how anyone else lives. Just accept them for who they are and provide service to those that need it. ME is all I need to worry about; because in the end, I have to face him about the life I choose to live and nobody elses.

http://crazylovebook.com/

Schmoop said...

Micky: I'll check it out. Cheers Mick!!

Starr: Not a big fan of any religion, and as far the State of Israel, they are big effin' drainon this country. I say we cut off all aid to both Israel and the Palestinians and see if that will force them to make peace. Cheers!!

Winter: I whole-heartedly concur. Cheers and Happy Sunday to you as well!!

Schmoop said...

Travis: Amen, brutha, Amen. Cheers Travis!!

Jay: Spoken like a true Evangelical...er...Republican...er,oh Hell, you know what I mean. Cheers!!

Dianne: Glad you liked the poem, and I hope you survive the wrath of the Holy Baby Jeebus. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Michelle: An Amen to you as well. If people would just live according to the Golden Rule AND mind their own damn business, this world would be much better off. Cheers!!

Oh, And I'll make sure to add your link tonight, so my feeble mind remembers to stop by more often.

Knight said...

Christian who?

Marilyn said...

I didn't go to mass today. Does a confession to you count?

I have this great book I think you'd like called the Bad Catholic's Guid to Good Living. They told me I have to go to confession but recomended I find a non-english speaking priest.

Schmoop said...

Knight: Bale... Cheers!!

Marilyn: Well I'll check that book out, thanks. And yes, leave your confessions in the comments, and consider yourself absolved. Cheers!!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...thoroughly enjoyed the poem...so much can be said with so few words.....

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: As I always impart to my son, "less is more". Cheers Phfrankie!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

You are eerily prophetic, Matt. The jackass who shot up the church in Tenn. apparently did it due to their "liberal" views. Bet he calls himself a Christian too.

Schmoop said...

Starr: I've been listening to reports on that. What a kook. Cheers Starr!!

Schmoop said...

Evil: Thanks and Bless You, Sister Evil. Cheers!!

katherine. said...

thanks for sharing another poem from the dad of mattman...

Schmoop said...

Kat: Always my pleasure Kat. Cheers!!

Unknown said...

My neighbor came over to my house and yelled at me over my dog!

I have a dog that I can't keep in my yard. I have tried everything and she always finds a way out. Anyway, this lady comes to my home, knocks on my door and when i open the door she points her finger at me and yells obscenities at me. Apparently my dog was in HER neighbors garbage and then pooped on HER NEIGHBORS LAWN! Why didn't she come and talk to me like a civil human being? Why was she a vicious monster attacking me at my door? I calmly went over to HER NEIGHBORS house where the garbage was and picked up every piece, and the dog poop. I agree that I have that responsibility to clean up after my dog. The one thing I don't agree upon is someone coming to my house and screaming in my face about something I didn't know about. Is anyone out there been blessed with a psyco-neighbor?
I don't think anyone remembers the golden rule...Do unto others as you would want done unto you!
I sent them a lovely card from this site I found...www.URAJerk.com