Wednesday, August 06, 2008

In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Enola Gay; I Now Pronounce You, Husband and Wife

Today marks the 63rd Anniversary of a monumental event.

No, not the evaporation of thousands of Hiroshimoans by the dropping of the A-Bomb…

Well, yeah, that too I guess, but I am talking about something even bigger...


Well, at least something a bit more on the feel good side of things.

Though neither are with us any longer, today marks what would have been my mom and dad’s 63rd Wedding Anniversary.

That’s right Bagwine Heads, my mom and dad were married August 6th, 1945.

Much like the chain reaction energy generated by The Bomb, their nuptials set off a chain reaction that produced nine babies over the course of 19 years.

Seven boys, two girls, and they saved the best for last. Me.

Mom and Dad were two of the best people I have ever known, in spite of the fact that they never had Central Air installed until we all moved out.

Dad has been gone nearly ten years, and Mom a little over two, and I have often imagined what they are doing now.

I think I figured it out last night at work. In between customers, I wrote it down in my head, and typed it out when I got home…


On God’s Front Porch

I see them sitting together
Long on years,
yet once again, and forever, young in appearance.

His right hand holds a dry martini;
hers, a cold bock beer.
Their left hands mingle joyfully.

Palms pressed, fingers entwined
flesh against flesh;
two souls as one, within their grasp

Then, with an odd mix of Midwest matter-of-factness
and an endless supply of Irish charm,
he entertains her by echoing Yeats, and Thomas,
and Sonnets from the Portuguese.

And she, to the casual observer, may look unimpressed
but only for the frosted glass that she sips upon,
that obscures her smile, and her fondness,
and her happiness.

His right hand holds a martini;
hers, a cold bock beer.
Their left hands mingle joyfully,

As they watch the perfect sunset
nesting just above the horizon, for all eternity.

©MPM 2008


Here’s to you Mom and Dad, have a lovely Anniversary and tell brother Phil that we miss him too.

I’ll be in and out much of today and tonight, so if I don’t “see” ya, I’ll catch up with ya tomorrow.

Happy Hump Day.


Cheers!!

42 comments:

katherine. said...

mateo...this could very well be the best post I have every read here.

truly gave me a big smile and a tear in my eye.

Maybe they are sitting with my grands (her with a lime and gin...him with a bourbon) laughing at our antics.

so glad they went for nine....smile

Jeni said...

Now that was a sweet tribute, really -it was! And yeah, I know I am just one big old sentimental slob and all that, but I appreciated the sentiment in it, very much.

Schmoop said...

Kat: I truly appreciate that Kat. It's odd sometimes a post is so hard and others like tonight, the words come out of nowhere, effortlessly.

When I lay down to go to sleep tonight, I'll ask Mom and Dad to look them up.

Cheers Kat, and Thanks again!!

Schmoop said...

Jeni: Thanks much. And although only if people knew me for awhile, would they know that I am pretty damn sentimental myself. Cheers!!

Dana said...

Awww ...

One thing though Matt-Man, it was my understanding that your parents had planned for a baker's dozen kids, but then there was you *wink*

Schmoop said...

Dana: You are correct. They thought it would take 13 tries to reach perfection, but they beat their expectations and did it in nine. Cheers Dana!!

Lu' said...

Hey were did my comment go? Matt-Man, you trying to tell me something? I'll try again: The softer side of Matt-Man and I'm not talkin underbelly. I felt a bit intrusive reading this. Goes to show the depth...

Anonymous said...

Awww Matt-Man I love it when you get sentimental. *Smooch* That was lovely babe.

Schmoop said...

Lu: Wow. Why thank ya Lu. Have a great day. Cheers!!

Lady Jaye: Thanks much lovely one, and right back at ya. Cheers, LJ!!

Cheesy said...

This is why we love you.... ya big softy...Hugs and peaceful memories to you and yours. Maybe my honey long passed is BBQ'in something for them to nosh on?
If so pass the wet-naps!

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: You're sweet, Cheesy. Let your honey know that Mom will try anything, and Dad really likes a hot dog burnt to a crisp. They'll bring the drinks ; ) Cheers Cheese!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

That was lovely Matt =)

Schmoop said...

Starr: Why thank ya dear. Cheers!!

Knight said...

That was beautiful. It really says something about a family when the kids remember the parents anniversary and celebrate it.

I'm trying to picture them holding left hands on the porch.

Schmoop said...

Knight: Why thank ya, Knight. I must admit, it is kinda easy to remember their anniversary when it falls on A-Bomb Day.

I wanted to post a picture of them but all that I have are currently in the posession of my son. Cheers!!

Deb said...

You are such a special little cutiepie, you know that?

This was beautiful!

Happy Anniversary to the two people who made such an amazing man! :)

The Mountain Cat said...

I have Hiroshima songs on my iPod...oh wait, not the jazz band?

Schmoop said...

Deb: Thanks but shoosh. This is the second time within a week that a blogger has made me blush.

Thanks and I'll be by soon to make up for my remissiveness. You are a talent and a genuine sweetheart. Cheers Deb!!

Mt.Cat: Ha. You are on the cutting edge. Cheers Dude!!

Desert Songbird said...

Nicely done, Matty me boy, nicely done. You do the Irish proud, darlin'.

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Thanks...I have my moments. Welcome Back. Cheers Dear!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

See... you can do serious...Beautiful tribute to Mom and dad...I can see them right now...sitting in heaven, the martini and bock beer being lifted in a salute to their baby boy...

Schmoop said...

Bond: Well, of course I can, but serious is easy...comedy is hard. ; ) Thanks and Cheers Vinny!!

Mo and The Purries said...

9 kids, with you as the booby prize.
Your mom deserves sainthood!

;)

Schmoop said...

Mo: We have all often said just that. Cheers Mo-Man!!

Liz Hill said...

Just lovely Matty--you have quite a bit of both of their talents. Smooch

leelee said...

wow...that was beautiful..really Matt.

Happy Anniversary to your Mom and Dad.

HUGS!

Beth said...

Beautiful Dear! A lovely tribute indeed! (By the way, you are the best of the bunch;)

Schmoop said...

TB: Why thanks but from Mom I also got thin hair, poor eyeysight, and bad gums. Cheers TB!!

Leelee: Thanks cutie. Sometimes thing just come to a person. Cheers to ya!!

Schmoop: Pfffffffank you. In spite of our living in sin Mom liked ya. Cheers Schmoop!!

Lex Valentine said...

That was a very touching tribute. You have your dad's gift with poetry.

Jahooni said...

Very sweet.
Thank gawd they had sex after the 8th time to bless us with you! ;)~

Ed & Jeanne said...

Awesome matt-man. I suppose I get stuck with the bill again though...

Hey, you are starring in my meme movie. Post is tomorrow (Thu). May God have mercy on your soul...

CreativeMish said...

What an awesome tribute! Sniff! Your Mother must have been a saint to have so many kids!

Dianne said...

that was lovely matt-man

Schmoop said...

Winter: Thanks. I have my petic moments. Cheers Winter!!

Jahooni: Ah yes, the world is a much better place with me in it. ; )~ Cheers, Jahoooooni!!

VE: I am so excited and more than a bit disturbed. I'm off all day tomorrow so I have plenty of time to rue your post. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Michelle: Thanks, and yes, she was a bit of a saint. And really good with money. Cheers!!

Dianne: Why thank ya very much, sport. Cheers Di!!

Tug said...

Matt, you're awesome.

Just sayin'.

;-)

Schmoop said...

Tug: And YOU are undeniably sweet. Thanks Tug ; ) Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful, Matt-Man! I ♥ the sincerity in this post. Happy Anniversary to the people who brought us the creator of Bagwine Ruminations! Withoutcha, we'd all be screwed. :)

Schmoop said...

CrAzY: Oh Hush...But thanks Tish. Good luck with the nearing birthin'. Cheers!!

Travis Cody said...

That poem was very impressive. Wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing that.

Schmoop said...

Travis: Why thank ya. Not bad for 20 minutes work, I guess. Cheers Trav!!

Angell said...

K- I went from laughing my ass off to crying in less than a minute.

Matt- it's absolutely beautiful, and I know they're proud that they raised you right.