Monday, June 15, 2009

Sarah Palin and David Letterman: Knocked Up On Late Night

I tried to stay away from the following issue, but alas, I could not.

The issue won’t go away, and who am I to shy away from a such a phony, overblown, media driven controversy?

I am talking about the brouhaha going on over David Letterman’s jokes that he made last week about Gov. Sarah “Plain and Dull” Palin, and her daughter.

You see…


I found his jokes about A-Rod knocking up her daughter during the 7th inning stretch and trying to keep Eliot Spitzer away from her at the Yankees game, to be quite funny.

And…If anyone, including dim-bulb Palin, says that Letterman was talking about her 14 year old daughter, Willow, and not Palin’s, prematurely cultivated 18 year old daughter Bristol, they are being disingenuous.

See? If Letterman had meant the jokes to be directed at Palin’s 14 year old, they wouldn’t be funny. There’s no context or history to the joke.

Bristol however, much like the Cincinnati Reds have given up on fielding a competitive baseball team, gave up on her virginity long ago.

These joke makes sense (comedic or otherwise) in the context of Bristol’s history, and the histories of both A-Rod and Spitzer.

Of course, Palin has come out swinging (oops, is that a sexual connotation?) by saying that Letterman is a dirty old man who cannot be trusted in the company of 14 year old girls.

According to Gov. Sarah “I’ll Trot My Daughter And Her Illigetimate Baby Out Onto The National Scene” Palin, Letterman’s a deviant and he owes all underage girls across the country an apology.

Letterman owes an apology to no one.

He’s a as much a sexual deviant as was Mother Teresa…Although I have heard rumors that she did have an affection for young Indian boys who suffered from cholera and tuberculosis.


Seriously though, about the only thing sexually deviant about Letterman is that I bet he still chuckles when he tells people that he graduated from BALL State. Hee. Hee.

Of course, it is not only Palin using this manufactured outrage in order to garner some TV face time.


In addition to the usual 24/7 Cable Outlet suspects, New York State Assemblyman, Brian Kolb-R, has called on CBS to fire Mr. Letterman.

“Hey Assemblyman Korn Kolb…Your call to a, Mr. National Relevance went through…don’t bother picking up, he’s reversing the charges.”

And of course there are “outraged” bloggers, such as some chick named Texas Darlin, who have lambasted Letterman for statutorily raping the Palins with his jokes.

Oh yeah, this Texas Darlin peapod is a peach. She has blog rules, ya know.


One of which is, if she doesn’t like and/or agree with your comment, she probably won’t post it. Love the discourse there, TD.

Anyhoo…Letterman is a comedian. He was doing his job. He makes jokes. That’s what he does.

Palin’s job on the other hand, is to be the Governor of Alaska, and yet she seemingly spends her time doing everything except for being the Chief Executive of the State of Alaska.

Her supporters will claim that she is busy promoting abstinence, making a name for a 2012 Presidential run, and educating people on conservative values.

Nah, Baby, Nah…What Palin is actually doing is busy becoming her own TV reality show, and she is shamelessly dragging her family into it right along with her.

She has become a scaled down, yet no less seedy, and mind numbingly horrid version of, Jon and Kate Plus 8.

Letterman did his job, and he did it well. He lived up to those immortal words of the late George Carlin…

“I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.”

Damn straight…Rock on Mr. Letterman…Rock On.

Cheers!!

40 comments:

M4Collegeguys.btr said...

I LOVE LETTERMAN....and who knew dim bulb Palin had another daughter?? The only one we've ever heard about or seen is the SLUT unwed mother whose legs have been open more than a 24 hour a day wal mart!

Jeff B said...

Palin is making such a big stink about this because bad press is always better than no press at all. Someone ought to tell her that that doesn't necessarily work out for the best in the political arena.

Jay said...

Palin has been given her own fake outrage machine. She cranks it up every so often to get attention and tell every one what victim she is.

Leno did a similar joke a year ago. Right after the announced Bristol was preggers, Leno said something along the lines of "That John Edwards has gone too far now!"

Any outrage from the Palin or anyone else about Leno joking about a 50 year old man knocking up a 17 year old girl? Of course not. She didn't have her fake outrage machine yet.

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Well being a Hoosier is somethiong that I don't hold against him. Cheers!!

Dan: Well that's a bit much. And see? When you put it that way...It's not funny. Cheers!!

Jeff: She has no political future as far as the Presidency goes. However and unfortunately, Alaska being as Republican as it is, she could very well become a U.S. Senator at some point. Dear God. Cheers Jeff!!

Schmoop said...

Jay: Ha. I missed the Edwards joke. And you're right. Her entire schtick is so frickin' phony and manipulated. Cheers Jay!!

Desert songbird said...

I didn't say HOOSIER; I said HOOSER. But point taken. *grin*

Schmoop said...

Songbird: I know and thank you'se. Cheers!!

Ken said...

Does anybody really like her?
She keeps ~tripping~ all over her kids which keeps her ~bristol~ face in the spotlight as she runs the political ~track~ field lined with weeping ~willows~.

Schmoop said...

Micky: Ha. Nicely put. The Evnagelical Right and a few others of that political bent adore her. Not an overwhemingly sizable minority but a minority that is made up of ardent activists and those who never fail to vote. So, she does have an audience to play to. Cheers Mick!!

Michele said...

Very well thought out and articulated post. I would have said; "Fuck'em if they can't take a joke".

Sarah Palin gives my the willies. The only way to get rid of her is to stop giving her air time. Which won't happen on FOX anytime soon.

Schmoop said...

Michele: Why thank ya Michele. Two things that I take seriously are comedy and politics. And granted, you can't always tell the difference.

Palin will continue to get face time on TV. After all, like Letterman, she is quite the quotable comedian. However unlike Letterman, she delivers jokes unintentionally. Cheers Michele!!

Lu' said...

I didn't hear the joke, too late at night for me. Haven't read about it either. I read the phrase Letterman for statutorily raping Palin of course I didn't read the article so I thought it had to do with Letterman joking about Bristol's baby daddy who statutorily raped Bristol. Palin, I'm so over her and her family. Didn't she get the memo her 15 minutes of fame has run into overtime and we pulled the plug on the clock :)

Schmoop said...

Lu: Palin's fifteen minutes won't be over until 2012. Some on the far right won't let their "Madonna" go away. And she sure as hell ain't going away on her own volition. Cheers Lu!!

Dana said...

I am not a huge Letterman fan, but I'm even less of a Palin fan. She irritates the shit out of me and I find myself thinking she deserves to be in the lime ... ummm ... errr ... sour lemon light!

Schmoop said...

Dana: I like Letterman, but not a huge fan either. I did think that the Spitzer joke was actually funnier than the A-Rod joke. And yeah, if some Republicans think Palin is the future of that party? Oy Vay...Good Luck with that!! Cheers Dana!!

snugs said...

I adore Dave and I agree with you 150%, and I am a little suprised at Dana's comment; I thought for sure she would be on the rabbid Republican band wagon to get Dave fired...shows you what I know..

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...what about A-Rod?...don't his feelings count?...

Schmoop said...

Snugs: Thanks and yeah, Dave has his moments of hilarity.

As for Dana? Eh, while I find her to be on the right as far as economic and foreign policy issues, I have always found her to be center left or perhaps a tad of a Libertarian on social issues...such as the issue of a guy telling a frickin' joke. Cheers Snugs!!

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: No...no they don't. He is worth a half a billion dollars. He has people who feel for him. Cheers P-Man!!

Ken said...

I still think it was a double didget Levi knock-up.
Or some other incredible last minute squashed out dirty, dirty laundry that had to be put under wraps before she was "presented" to all us lower forty eighters.

Schmoop said...

Micky: What are you talking about as far as Levi and Bristol? National Enquiring minds want to know. Cheers Mick!!

Ken said...

I think he's daddy times two!

Got to slip on down to the shop now, I'll come back at lunch.

Schmoop said...

Micky: What? You think he's Trig's father as well? And you think Trig is Bristol's, not Sarah's? You should write for Soap Operas. Cheers Mick!!

Ken said...

Many slueths have been putting 2 and 2 together since the election.

(I had to come back up for my notebook)

Schmoop said...

Micky: I know and I've heard that. Ya just gotta remember...Many people put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 because that's the answer that they want. Cheers Mick!!

Cheesy said...

I myself adore crossed lines!

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: I do too...Why don't you head out this way and let me cross a few with you, my sexy, strawberry colored hair, friend. Cheers Cheesy!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

How do I stay in the news? Well, just complain every time someone mentions you or your family.

Great idea...

The proceeding was the bed-talk between Palin and Todd

Schmoop said...

Bond: They are such a naughty couple. Cheers Vinny!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

Nice reference back to Carlin. He called it as he saw it...just like Matt-man!

David said...

Palin is clearly a media whore and loves the attention.

I'm personally happy that she has her ardent following among the uber-conservative GOPers since that will ensure them another round of election losses. The nation at large finds ole Sarah to be laughable.

Nicely done Matt-Man
Cheers

Ken said...

She's also trying hard to be in the big spender league of the far right. And with Alaska as her backdrop she's come up with a big waste of 26 billion dollars that she's trying to sell to us lower forty eighters.
(check it out here)
http://www.themudflats.net/

M4Collegeguys.btr said...

Palin is something else! At least with her 'prostitute' face showing up in the republic party, I was immediately convinced the first time she opened her mouth that for the first time in my life I would vote DEMOCRAT!
But as I said earlier, and Barbara Walters said this morning, she knows exactly what she's doing and she's milking it to her advantage. She was completely out of the spotlight, and she's using her daughter to get back in as much TV time with her face plastered all over the media. Will be interesting since Letterman taped his show at 5:30 to see if anything happened in front of the theater! Does anyone know????

Schmoop said...

VE: Why thank ya VE. I appreciate that. Cheers!!

David: Thanks alot, David. And I agree...If the GOP continues to hang their hats on the far right, Evangelicals, and goobs like Palin, they will continue to see their numbers dwindle. Cheers!!

Micky: I will of course check that out. I know you dig that site. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

DAN: Now see? I agree with everything you just said in that comment. But no, I have no idea if anything happened. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Dianne: I heard a transcript of the apology and it sounded serious. What a shame. Oh well, what can ya do? Whiny pussies get what they want too often. Cheers Di!!

Anndi said...

You know what offends me? The sick perverted minds that assumed the joke was about a 14 year old... puhlease!

Schmoop said...

Anndi: You know why so many people misunderstood the joke? Because they have no frickin' sense of humor. Cheers Anndi!!

Liz Hill said...

What offends me? The crap Dan is spewing calling Bristol a slut. I think Sarah Palin is a complete ass but I would not call her 18 year old daughter a slut.

Schmoop said...

TB: And I believe my response to him mirrored your opinion. Cheers TB!!