Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Death Cloaks and Birthday Cakes

What day is it? Well, let me tell ya. It’s a BIG day here at Bagwine Ruminations.

It’s an anniversary of sorts.

You see…On June 16th, 2006, my mom passed on.

After being married to one man, birthing nine kids, cooking innumerable pounds of meat loaf, and living nearly 85 years, mom left this earth to be with her husband and oldest son in that great Dutch Oven in the sky.

I miss the old lady. But, she was ready to go at that point; she wanted to go, and so, it’s for the best.

Mom and I were pretty close. I was her baby, and for a long time after most of the older kids had moved out, it was just her and I.

Dad didn’t give a crap about mom and I…he left us to fend for ourselves. Ha, kidding, he was at work during the day, so that’s why it was just Mom and I.

She drove me to all of my baseball practices…sat amidst a bunch of whiny parents and watched every game. She even bought me a "diamond" stud earring to wear during my High School graduation.

It’s the one I still wear to this day. Some folks, after losing their mom, will say that she is, and always will be in their heart. My mom is and always will be, in my left earlobe.

With nine kids and only my dad being the one working...feeding, clothing, and taking care of us was rough on Mom.

Somehow, she managed to do it. We never missed out on anything. We never went without anything that we absolutely needed.

Mom was an ardent Catholic and yet, hated the hierarchy of the Church. She loved playing cards, drinking a cold Bock beer, and politics.

With a son who was a city commissioner and later a State Senator, and another who was also a city commissioner, she always had her hand in politics.


And trust me, just as she did while playing cards, when she was involved in a campaign, she loved to win.

She was sweet, humorous, sentimental, and at the same tough as nails and resourceful.

I am glad my mom is gone. Because…that is what she wanted. And, she is back in the arms of her lifelong love, my dad.


To want any less for her would be selfish of me, and that is a characteristic she never had.

Here’s to you Mom, and if you don’t mind I’d like to mention one other anniversary.

Longtime Bagwine friend and an Italian man of questionable sexual orientation, Vinny, of Bond’s Big Leather Couch is celebrating his birthday today.

Leave it to Vinny to try and steal the thunder and attention away from my sweet, dead mom. So typical.

Ha…My mom probably just laughed and said what she always said to me, “Matt, why do you have to always see how far you can push people?”

Anyhoo…If you’d like to wish him well, you can stop by his site by clicking HERE.

Happy Birthday Vinny, and keep in mind…while you are celebrating and wearing a big ol’ happy hat, I’ll be sitting in the dark, wrapped in a death cloak, and mourning the loss of my dear departed mother.

While Vinny is cutting cake, I’ll be crying in my Bagwine and I…Okay Mom, I heard ya…I’ll shut up now, and leave Vinny alone.

Cheers!!

29 comments:

Jeff B said...

'm just thinking how fun it would have been if you would have switched the two photos of your mom and Vinny.

Hmmmm. . . you didn't did you?

Desert Songbird said...

I was going to say something cute and snarky, but Jeff's comment....well, he stole the thunder again...

Your mom was a saint. I have a feeling I would have really liked the lady.

Schmoop said...

Jeff: No, I didn't switch them. My mom had MUCH better taste in earrings than Vinny does. Cheers Jeff!!

Songbird: Everyone who knows her kids says that she was a saint. As for liking her, there wasn't a whole lot there not to like. Cheers!!

Anndi said...

She's with you always, huh? Tugging on your ear whenever you're a bad boy just like when you were little?

You do your mom proud, Matt.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I did not realize I stole the thunder away from your mom's passing.

I will change the date of my birthday next year.

THANKS MATT

Schmoop said...

Anndi: Ha. Thanks. She is always with me and instead of her memory making me sad, it always makes me smile and even laugh. Cheers Anndi!!

Schmoop said...

Bond: Ha. Thanks Vin...Changing your birthdate is the right thing to do. Happy Birthday, my good man. Cheers Vinny!!

Lu' said...

My Mom was ready too and is also now in the arms of her true love my Dad. Yet another thing we have in common huh. It is comforting somewhat to know that when a loved one does leave, they were ready and in some instances, waiting. Salute to your Momma.

Vinny Bond Vinny Bond, Happy Birthday heart felt Bud :) Many many more returns on the day.

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...I, too, am in the Dead Mom Club...loooooooves me some Dead Mom...A very nice tribute, M2, and as for Vinny: shame on him for occupying a birth canal on the same day as his buddy's Dead Mom. Sheesh!...

Schmoop said...

Lu: Thanks Lu. My Mom had cancer and she said that she didn't want to suffer and linger like her oldest son. She died roughly 8 hours later and from cancer in places she had never had before. Oh yeah, she had God's ear. Cheers!!

Phfrankie: Why thank ya P-Man. As for Vinny? He claims to be my friend and pulls this crap? With friends like that...well, you know. Cheers!!

Ken said...

Cry softly Matt-Man, your mom probably wouldn't want to hear it.

As for Vinny....
Maybe he'll cut his finger while cutting cake so he can mourn like a real Italian, in pain.
I think he should wear black from now on on his birthday too.

Schmoop said...

Micky: Ha. You're right about Mom.

But, as for Vin...I bet he is going to be celebrating his B-Day at Chuck E. Cheese. He'll be gnoshing on pizza, swilling beer, and strong arming little kids out of their prize tickets they earned from playing skeeball. Cheers Mick!!

Desert Songbird said...

Is there a Dead Moms from Cancer Club? If so, then I've been a long time member. You can join, Matty - we're not picky.

*wry smile*

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Thanks but no...Clubs always end up being cliqueish. I prefer to walk alone and just meet and greet others along my merry way. Cheers!!

Jay said...

Must be a tough day for you. You're trying to celebrate your mother's life and you get brought down by thinking of Vinny's birth. That's rough man. ;-)

I'm kidding of course. No really, I am. I kid because I care.

Schmoop said...

Jay: Y'know, Jay? It is tough. I miss my mom and at the same time, I wish Vin would just go away. Wait...I guess my feelings and hopes are pretty clear, nevermind. Cheers Jay!!

katherine. said...

Mary Anne Mahoney...she left quite the legacy.

Nice tribute to your Mama Mateo.

Schmoop said...

Kat: She left a HUGE legacy...Each one more sarcastic than the next. ; ) Cheers Kat!!

Candice said...

I'm pourin' a little liquor out for your mom sort of like they do in those rap videos.

Schmoop said...

Candice: She was quite the rapper, so she would appreciate it. Cheers!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I AIN'T GOING NO WHERE DUDE

leelee said...

Hello!

and

HUGS!

Schmoop said...

Bond: I know...And because it's your B-Day, I'll feign happiness about that fact. Cheers!!

Leelee: Purrrrr. Hello and Hugs right back atcha, cutie. Hope you are well. Cheers!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

You should have photoshopped Vinny's name on the tombstone with a future date on it. Well...my gnomes would have done it...


Happy B Day to Vinny and glad to see you're remembering your Mom! Now clean the house...as she would say.

Anonymous said...

Your mom was really cool. I still have the High School graduation card your parents gave me. Special!!

Beth said...

I never got to meet your Dad, but your Mom was great! Especially with your brother!! Of course, that is another story! Zoves my baby!

Schmoop said...

VE: Ha. I like that idea. I really need to get Photoshop. Cheers VE!!

Anony: She dug ya. In spite of you showing up one Halloween night during our formative late teen years dressed up as Jane. Purrrrr. You Jane, Me Matt-Zan. Cheers Sherri!!

Schmoop: She really liked you...I still can't for the life of me figure out why. ; )~ I'll tell the story about you, me, Mom and Vince sometime. Cheers and Zoves Schmoop!!

Liz Hill said...

Your Mom just has to be smiling as she reads your intrepid posts!

Smooches to our friend Vinny!

Schmoop said...

TB: I'm not so sure she's smiling at some...er, many of my posts. I think there may very well be some cringing involved as well. Cheers TB!!