Thursday, July 16, 2009

Here's The Story, Of A Man Named Brady...

I was flipping through the channels Wednesday night and I just kept coming across old shows.

Not re-runs of newer shows…I’m talking old shows like, The Brady Bunch, and others.

As I am now older, I have kind of a different perspective on some of the TV shows that I watched while growing up and now air on TV Land and elsewhere.

For instance, take the aforementioned, The Brady Bunch.

I would watch it on Friday nights while eating Mikesell’s Sour Cream and Onion potato chips and sipping on some Faygo Red Pop when I was eight years old or so.


I thought it was mildly amusing, and I was somewhat envious of the Bradys.

I thought the Brady house was way cool. I was envious that they had a maid who cooked dinners of spaghetti AND steak.

They went on great vacations to the Grand Canyon, Hawaii, Kings Island, and Mr. Phillips’ big boat.

As our family was at best, middle class, I was soooo digging the opulent Brady lifestyle.

I would watch in order to see what type of hilarity would ensue when those wacky, well-to-do Bradys got together. Good times…good times.

The other night when I caught an episode of the show while puffing on a Basic Full Flavor and sipping on some Wild Irish Rose at the age of 44...I discovered something that never struck me when I watched it at the age of eight.

Mike Brady was a major league asshole…and most of all, a fucking cheapskate.

Mike Brady was allegedly some architectural guru living in the L.A. area who was always in demand for his keen designs. If that was the case, I’m sure he had money out the ass.

So, how come his six kids had to squeeze themselves to sleep within two tiny bedrooms while he and Carol slept in a huge ass boudoir that they never used…’cause, well, he was gay and all?

Hell, Mr. Brady treated his maid, Alice, better than his kids…at least she had her own bedroom. Why?

Because Alice cooked and cleaned for Mr. Twinkle Toes…and I’m guessin’ that Sam the Butcher slid Mike some free meat once in awhile as well.

Even with his huge ass family and all of his cash, the tight assed jerk would only spring for one car. For awhile, the miserly prick had a pay phone installed in his house and made the kids use that.

“But Matt-Man,” you ask. “What about all of those great vacations that he took them on? That had to set him back more than a few dollars.”

If I remember correctly…The boat, King’s Island, and the trip to Hawaii were on his boss’ dime. He didn’t spend any of his own cash, the rotten bastard.

Oh sure, there’s the trip to the Grand Canyon for which he footed the bill, and what happened on that trip?

The kids got stuffed into tents rather than a lodge, and Bobby and Cindy were left alone to wander away and nearly die in the stifling Arizona heat.

Some dad Mike Brady was...

He was probably stashing all his cash away so he could go to Sweden, have a sex change, and come back home to have hot sex with Mr. Phillips on that swanky boat.

Mike Brady was a cheap, selfish bastard, a lousy father, and I hate him.

As for me? I am taking my son fishing this morning, and guess what? I'm going to spring for the nightcrawlers.

Cheers!!

26 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

...Mikesell’s Sour Cream and Onion potato chips and sipping on some Faygo Red Pop...

You're scaring me. First I thought this was amemory from my childhood.

Schmoop said...

Songbird: ...The Midwest shall rise again. Cheers!!

Ms Snarky Nice Bitch said...

i so wanted to be one of the brady's growing up

but mainly, i think it was because of all the brothers and sisters

and my younger brother is such a dick wad box of rocks

thanks for the laughs

c

Schmoop said...

Snarky: I wanted to be a Brady so I could play in a backyard that had an astroturf lawn. Cheers!!

Michele said...

I had never thought of it that way but now that you mention it..... What the hell did Mrs Brady do? Alice did all the work around the house, the kids ran wild, and Mr Brady worked.

Karen said...

I never thought the Brady's were well-off. I considered the misery of 3 kids in one room - I never understood why he had the huge office at home when a kid or two could use it for a bedroom.

Mostly I was jealous of the way the kids all got along.

Schmoop said...

Michele: I 'm thinking that Carol spent her days curled up in a fetal position drinking vodka in Mike's den. Cheers Michele!!

Karen: Greg used his den as a bedroom for a short time. But he missed sleeping with his brothers. Like father, like son. Cheers!!

Lu' said...

Most of the families money went to pay for Moms beauty salon visits and designer clothes *cough* not to mention her drug habit and well Dad was spending far too much cash on male prostitutes...

Schmoop said...

Lu: Yeah Baby...Mrs. Brady looked hot in those faux silk and banlon pantsuits. I longed to do a Brady Munch on her. Mike wouldn't have cared. Cheers Sweet Pea!!

Lu' said...

Oh he'd have cared. Mike would have tucked it tight and put on a bra to have you nibble on his man patch.

Cheesy said...

hehehe My sisters' all time favorite show.. I am going to forward this on and I hope she is up to spelling all the blue words in her reply... hehehe Wish I was a fly on the wall!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...the family that slays fish together, stays together...

Phfrankie Bondo said...

..."man patch" ?!?!...

desert rat said...

Oh, I loved that show! (And Greg did eventually get to move into the attic, as I recall). I have never heard of the stuff you ate and drank. I did wonder, too, what Carol did with herself all day. I have only one sister, so I thought more siblings would be cool but I did like having my own room.

Cheers!

Dianne said...

Sam the Butcher sliding meat Mr Brady's way !!!!

oh dear lord!!
I must figure out how to work that into conversation at least once today

Jay said...

I kind of think that Robert Reed was just playing himself when he played Mike Brady. From what I've read and heard, Reed was a bitch.

But, even if he wasn't a great dad, he was still better than Mr. Drummond on Different Strokes. Look at the three worthless kids he raised! And he was damn wealthy!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

In truth, Mike and Alice were really brother and sister, yet they had an incestuous affair for years and Bobby is actually Alice's son...it was the shock of finding that out that killed Mike's first wife...she screamed "You eat her meatloaf and give her your kielbasa AND you pay her???' and then fell over dead.

Schmoop said...

Lu: Ha...You are being awfully randy today. I like it. Cheers!!

Cheesy: Ha. I love it when my words affect others. Let me know what she thinks. Cheers Cheesy!!

Phfrankie: Just got back...The only thing we slayed were a couple of worms. We only had one bite and caught nothing. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Desert Rat: Mikesell's are a regional brand and Faygo? It's around here and there. I had eight sibs so I got nothing of my own. Cheers Rat!!

Dianne: Oh you must use it AT LEAST once...And I'm sure you can find a way to slide it in. Cheers Di!!

Jay: See? Looking back always gives on a grea perspective. You are correct, Drummond was a lousy father. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Bond: Gives a whole new meaning to the song, Alice's Restaurant. Cheers Vinny!!

desert rat said...

"You can get anything you want...!"

Dana said...

I've got nothing funny to say, but I sure did giggle while reading this post!

Schmoop said...

Desert Rat: Oh if only you were directing your statement towards me. Mmmmm. Cheers Rat!!

Dana: Were you giggling because it was funny, or is someone fondling you? Cheers Dana!!

Knight said...

I think the kids liked sleeping all together in the connected rooms. It made it easier to sneak in a game of doctor before bed each night.

Schmoop said...

Knight: Why do you have to put a snag into such a tribute to the fabric that is America? FOX NEWS will hunt you down and kill you. Cheers Sexy!!

katherine. said...

the Brady Bunch didn't do much for me...I so wanted to be part of the Partridge Family....