Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Morning Church Disservice: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

It's a cloudy, yet relatively warm Sabbath in Bagwine, Ohio today.

This should prevent my 11-7 shift at the Beer Mine (if it's not too busy) from making me keel over and dropping dead into a puddle of my infected lung funk.

Amen, and Amen...

A brief homily about paternal and parental solidarity today.

This past Thursday, my 15 year old, size 14 shoe wearin' son, Ryno, attended a basketball team retreat in Southern Ohio.

Both the JV and Varsity squads of his HS roundball team spent Thursday and Friday bonding, talking, getting to know each other, and when not getting in their four hours of sleep, participating in team building exercises.

There was also one other significant even that took place while these 12-15 testosterone laden food disposal machines spent time at the camp.

It was Freshman Team Initiation...Each and every Freshman player had their head full of thick, lustrous teenage hair shaved by a returning varsity player.

We were aware of this ahead of time, and so, I told Ryno that in support of him getting his head full of hair shaved, while he was gone I would have my non-full head of hair shaved as well.

I offer you a before and after pictorial of said event...

BEFORE...Thursday morning prior to him going off to camp...


AFTER...Saturday morning prior to me taking him to practice...


A Close-Up, of Ryno, who to me with his head shaved, looks five years older...


Ryno digs the shorn look. I dig the close to the scalp look. Even his mom, grudgingly admits that it doesn't look too bad on him, and says, "It suits him."

The only one who absolutely loathes it? His grandmother.

As one who enjoys needling his grandmother, Ryno is quite happy with this fact.

The best thing that has transpired because of this head shaving?

As I drove Ryno to practice yesterday morning, Ryno kept softly chuckling. I asked him a couple of times what was so funny. He responded, "nothing Dad."

Upon finally saying to him, "C'mon Ryno...What is it?"

He finally answered...

"It's OUR hair, Dad. YOU and I are too funny."

I smiled...mainly because he said OUR, and YOU and I.

I'm not one who likes to join or be part of a group, but if Ryno lumps him and I into some type of group of our own that goes beyond the father/son thing, I truly enjoy that.

Amen, and Amen...

Enjoy your Sunday all. Please pray for an easy day at the Beer Mine on my behalf.

Cheers!!

9 comments:

MysteryChick said...

Here's to any easy day at the beer mine for you.

You have such a great relationship with Ryno, I can only hope the same for myself and my kids as they grow older.

BTW-all men should look as good as the two of you without hair!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't look bad at all :-) And he does look older, probably why grandma is pissed.

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...Sweet Jesus, what a transformation! (not YOU, ya knucklhead...the son!)...and that little group you guys have?...I am in one like that myself and I know how it feels...congratulations!...

Marilyn said...

I've been thinking about shaving my head for years. Hair is such a pain.

You two look great.

Ken said...

Wow, I agree, he looks much older without those cute little boy curls in his hair. Your such an awesome dad to that young man.

I haven't had time to read back the last week of how your doing ""AFTER 8 FUCKING DAYS"" in a hospital. I hope your being good to yourself. Seriously!!!

Jay said...

He looks old enough that you would probably sell beer to him. ;-)

Scott Oglesby said...

Wow, you’re right. He totally looks 5 years older. If I didn’t know better I might place him as a brand, spanking new marine. Who Rah

I totally miss sports camps, hope he had a blast!

Cinnamon Girl said...

He DOES look older! Spooky.

metalmom said...

Jeez! He is a handsome kid! If he were a little older and I were a little younger....? It would still be inappropriate!!

You two are lucky to have such a great relationship!