Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Let's Get Jiggy With Kwanzaa

Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year’s Eve/Day…

The long time Holy Trinity of the Holiday Season.

However, in 1966 some upstart social academic decided that this time of the year needed a little ebony mixed in with all of the red and green.

Maulana Karenga founded a seven day celebration of African and African-American culture known as Kwanzaa.

There’s a candle lighting, a feast, gifts, and some kind of drinking going on. There’s an observance of things such as unity, faith, cooperative economics, purpose, blah, blah, blah.

Eh, sounds pretty boring to me. It has caught on here and there, but just isn’t taking off like the robust parties that take place for Jeebus followers and Jews.

Kwanzaa’a problem? It needs to be marketed, updated…commercialized. Only then, will it take off among black Americans.

Not wanting to be referred to by the bruthas as , "The Matt-Man who is keeping me down.”, I of course, have a few suggestions to help put Kwanzaa on the Holiday map.

First of all, ditch the multi-candle thing. The Jews already have the menorah.

If you want to light something, light something you’re familiar with…like a crack pipe.


Hell, do this every day for seven days, and even your white neighbors will be interested in celebrating with you.

Despite its religious foundations, Christmas offers some exciting, more secular traditions. You know, like Santa Claus.

You guys need to incorporate a jolly, gift delivering, midnight rider. Since Santa is taken, and keeping with your African theme, I suggest this guy…


Yep, Bantu Claus…riding threw the Kwanzaa sky in his wildebeest drawn wooden cart, delivering toys made by pygmies, to the good little black children.

He would playfully say, “Yo-Yo-Yo” in place of Santa’s “Ho-Ho-Ho” to avoid waking up black women all across the country who may think there’s a major booty call going on.

And since I am suggesting dumping the menorah, you can add color to your event with a Kwanzaa Tree. We, unlike uptight Jews, are happy to share our symbols...It’s a pagan thing anyway.

Here’s what I think would be a tree that you folks would all be happy to share and gather around…



And to all of my bruthas out there…this tree is nothing like how you feel about certain aspects of sex with the ladies, this is something even you would eat. Kwanzaa-Licious!!

If you do want to inject some religious solemnity into Kwanzaa, you need to have a human figure representin’.

I suggest a tale of how all of you of African descent can trace your roots back to a single baby boy. You can call him, The Masai-Uh.

A story about how he was found alone in an abandoned warehouse by some folks named Mel, Dre’, and Weezey would be cool.

You can refer to the holy trio as, “The Three Social Workers.”

See? Just a few adjustments and your Kwanzaa celebration will go from flat to phat in no time.

There is one problem with Kwanzaa, however, that just can’t be overcome.

You see, both the Christian and Jewish celebrations are based in fact.

Christians celebrate the birth of the Baby Jeebus…a boy who was fathered by an invisible man and given birth to by a woman who never had sex.

While a bit less exciting but no less true, the Jews have their magic candle. That burned, and burned, and burned….

As mentioned earlier, you guys are celebrating things like self-determination, creativity, and responsibility. You call that reality?

Gimme a break my brothers and sisters, you really think that type of celebration is gonna fly in America?

Do what we do. Dump the principles and any type of holiday meaning. It’s all about the bling.


Cheers!!

46 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

I suggest a tale of how all of you of African descent can trace your roots back to a single baby boy. You can call him, The Masai-Uh.

I was thinking more like, oh, Levar Burton.

Dana said...

*shakes head* My oh my ...

Lu' said...

It was so delightfully wrong HA!

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Oh c'mon...I don't like to go for the obvious when I can avoid it. Cheers!!

Dana: That means you liked it, right? Cheers Dana!!

Lu: Ha. That was exactly the reaction I was hoping for. Thanks. Cheers Lu!!

Meg said...

Isn't bling what the brothas' and sistas' lives are about every other day of the year?

Meg said...

Sorry. I'm just trying to be a badass as you. Did it work?

Meg said...

As you might know, my spouse is black and celebrates Kwanza.

Schmoop said...

Fantasy: Many of the younger ones indeed. That's what makes this ironical. Cheers Meg!!

Meg said...

Just kidding. You bring out the badass in me.

Schmoop said...

Fantasy: No, I did not know that. I hope he has a wonderful Kwanzaa celebration this year. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Fantasy: Well that's good. Everyone needs to let their badass out. And believe me, you have nothing for which to apologize. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: Ha. I just don't want to hear that you have suffered another injury. As for the post...I think it's pretty damn good. Cheers Cheesy!!

Desert Songbird said...

I must admit, The Masai-Uh was pretty damn clever.

You butthead. *grin*

Talk to you later!

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Ha. I liked it. I was disappointed that I was unable to smoothly work in a hot picture of Tyra Banks. Mmmmmmmmm, Tyraaaaaa. Cheers!!

You can Call me AL said...

Kwanzaa... I first heard about kwanzaa from Shirley Q liquor about 5 years ago. I didn't find out til last year she ain't black or a woman.
You know you just about had all bases covered but I noticed you never made reference to fried chicken, you're slipping Matt-Man.

Schmoop said...

Dianne: Man, that Jew/Catholic tug o' war has to be painful. Seek out the B'hai faith and rest your soul. And yes, the O-Man is large, in charge, and soon to do Satan's work. Darn clever them Muslim radicals. Cheers Di!!

Schmoop said...

I actually Googled "Christmas Tree Chicken" but came up empty. So I had to opt for the melon. A thousand Pardons. Cheers Al!!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...if lovin' bling is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Cinnamon Girl said...

What we got a LeVar Burton joke but no Toby comments?!!

The weather continues as shit here. I am waiting with my dad for a ride to work with his boss.

As for Holidays, this is scheduled to last through to Christmas. That means I will most likely not get a tree. I am ready to celebrate Happy Fuck It All and Have A Drink Day :P

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: Ha. I love you. Cheers P-Man!!

Starr: As Rufus Shakespeare would say, "Toby or not Toby." Bada Bing!!

Good luck with your weather; we had some major icing overnight. It's schliiiiick. Have a drink or two. Cheers!!

Willie G said...

Oh My God that was so insanely over the top on the bigot scale!! Are you sure you're not hanging out in the south with me somewhere, and using Bagwine as a moniker to cover your tracks so they don't hunt your white cracker ass down and bus' a cap in you??

Schmoop said...

Willie: Ha. Over the top? Yes it was. And while I don't live in the south, we probably have more bigots living in Bagwine in 2008 than they did in 1960's Neshoba County Mississippi.

Jay said...

I would like to tell you that this post is so over the top that it actually was funny. But, that might hurt my chances at a hot three-way with Toni Braxton and Gabrielle Union. And I don't want to risk that. ;-)

Schmoop said...

Jay: Ha. I totally understand. I have for many years wanted to marry Toni Braxton. And make her Toni Mahoney. Mmmmmmm. Toni. Cheers Jay!!

desert rat said...

Ooh, I love satire!

Schmoop said...

Desert Rat: I was being serious. ; ) Cheers Pal!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Holy Shit Matt! My dad said the SAME THING while watching me type that comment!

Michele said...

I was offended on principal and laughing my head off all at the same time. Is that wrong?

This will be shared with the family because that is the right thing to do!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am thoroughly convinced that this post is nothing but a blatant attempt at your successfully bringing The Hoot-man into your tiny little harem of man-slaves.

You know he will read this and be so thrilled to have found your blog.

I just know by the time he reads "Dump the principles and any type of holiday meaning. It’s all about the bling." he will have wet himself in joyous ecstasy.

Schmoop said...

Starr: Please tell me you were talking bout the Toby comment. And if so, your Dad RAWKS!! Cheers!!

Michele: Ha. No, at least I hope not. Because if it is wrong, I should stop writing. Share away. That is the number one reason why I keep doing this. Thanks Michele, alot. Cheers!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Yup it was the Toby comment. He's on a role.

"Bush was the Sole Survivor of a shoe-i-cide attack in Iraq" and yet another politically incorrect one, "What's the alternate title of You Don't Mess With Zohan?...The Karate Yid!"

Schmoop said...

Bond: Ha. Hoot's probably strung out on the "white man's crack"...Meth. Maybe he'll read it after rehab. Cheers Vinny!!

Starr: Ha. Good Man. I'll tell ya what, the guy who threw the shoes was a real heel. Maybe Dubya can save his sole. Cheers!!

Anndi said...

For a minute there I thought you were going to suggest they put a burning structure in front of their houses...

Schmoop said...

Anndi: And steal the penultimate thunder of the Baby Jeebus? I don't think so. Cheers Anndi!!

Lu' said...

I'm sorry but Toni Mahoney just made me laugh right out loud. I mean it chuckling loudly at my desk by myself now they know I'm not working; for the moment anyhoodle :)

Liz Hill said...

I actually snorted when I read Masai-uh!


That is sooooooo wrong however a perfect example of how if you are going to 'go there' you'd better be funny doing it. Excellent.

Schmoop said...

Lu: Ha. I have mentioned that for at least ten years. I finally got to use it on the internets. Cheers!!

TB: Ha. I knew you'd get it. And yeah, I thought it was kinda funny. You Rock. Cheers TB!!

Knight said...

And all this time I thought the burning cross in your yard was a misguided Christmas decoration.
I kid.
I'm just in shock you were able to find a watermelon cozie.

Tug said...

Holyhell dude, only you could do this and crack me the hell up instead of make me fear for your life-in-comment-retaliation-hell. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Either I've had just a liiiitle too much of the holiday "spirits" this evening, or Bantu Claus looks just a tad like Morgan Freeman.

BTW: Interview questions coming to you soon! Soon as I sober up, of course!

Unknown said...

You've done out did yo-self!

Unknown said...

Not to mention, I think The Bond-O has the hots for me. He keep bringing me up in every comment.

Sorry Bond-0, the Hoot is straight as a rocket.

snugs said...

Bond and Hoot? Am I having a nightmare or what?
btw, you are the BEST Mr Matt Man you crack me up!

Scott Oglesby said...

I can’t believe you had all those comments and not one of them called you an asshole! I was personally thinking of George Clinton as their Santa. He’s got the big personality and can bring sacks of weed! They could have traditional family games to play during the various celebrations. One day could be the Maury Povich sponsored ‘who baby daddy.’ Anther could be ‘guess that bail,’ where contestants try to come closest to the actual retail price of bail for certain family members. They have to figure in the crime, criminal history, and presiding judge to come up with an accurate guess. I hope this holiday catches on someday; it’ll be fun! I’m down with the 7 days of crack idea!
Hilarious!

Scott Oglesby said...

I can’t believe you had all those comments and not one of them called you an asshole! I was personally thinking of George Clinton as their Santa. He’s got the big personality and can bring sacks of weed! They could have traditional family games to play during the various celebrations. One day could be the Maury Povich sponsored ‘who baby daddy.’ Anther could be ‘guess that bail,’ where contestants try to come closest to the actual retail price of bail for certain family members. They have to figure in the crime, criminal history, and presiding judge to come up with an accurate guess. I hope this holiday catches on someday; it’ll be fun! I’m down with the 7 days of crack idea!
Hilarious!

Schmoop said...

Scott: Ha. Fine traditions to add to the festivities. Thanks for the comment funny man. Cheers!!