Monday, June 01, 2009

Hurricane Season 2009: Have No Fear

Well folks, it’s that time of year…

The 2009 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially starts today. Aren’t you excited?

I know I am. I am a Hurricane FREAK!!

I have studied them my entire life. Well, since about the age of seven or so. I dreamed of becoming a meteorologist and working at the National Hurricane Center.

My dream of forecasting these magnificent storms was blown away like the roof of the Superdome when I encountered two things.

Math and Physics…Those two, fucking “blank look on my face eliciting” disciplines. Nonetheless…

I am quite the amateur meteorologist and know a helluva lot about hurricanes specifically. So, I get excited at this time of year…

Hurricanes are nature’s perfect steam engine. They’re dynamos of destruction, and at the same time when viewed by satellite, an incredibly beautiful picture of power and symmetry.

But there’s one thing about these storms that disturbs me…The fucking names that the WMO (World Meteorological Organization) picks out for them.

Look at this year’s selections…
Ana Bill
Claudette Danny
Erika Fred
Grace Henri
Ida Joaquin
Kate Larry
Mindy Nicholas
Odette Peter
Rose Sam
Teresa Victor
Wanda


It’s no wonder that so many people fail to heed the warnings when a hurricane is approaching. These names do not invoke fear.

I mean c’mon…Hurricane Bill? Oooooo, I am frightened, Bill might be coming this way. It’s sounds like the next door neighbor you talk over the fence with.

Hurricane Erika? What, is this some kind of sexy hurricane? A pole dancer spinning counterclockwise, perhaps? Hey Guys!! Let’s not evacuate, I want to see what Erika looks like!!

Fred!? Ha. Henri!? Isn’t that a French name?

You know damn well, that Hurricane Henri would be a big pussy storm and surrender to the shoreline. People wouldn’t even bother boarding their windows for Henri.

I laugh at Odette. Doesn’t that sound like some white haired octogenarian who has Alzheimer’s?

Ol’ Hurricane Odette would be meandering all over the Gulf with no direction. And then, one night she would secretly disappear altogether and no one would be able to find her.

Oy…C’mon WMO throw the fear of God into coastal dwellers. Let’s have Hurricane Vlad and Adolf. Hurricane Cheney.


Hurricane Medusa…and yes…Hurricane Carrot Top. I shudder just thinking about it.

Hurricanes are storms that need to be respected, shouldn’t the name mirror the respect that they deserve? Damn right, they should.

This year’s names once again fail on that front. Mindy? Nicholas? Talk about your Country Club Hurricanes.

Although, I hope we do have at least 16 named storms this season. ’Cause you know what that means…

It means that Hurricane PETER has just developed. Ha.

Take cover everyone…A Big Ol’ Peter is coming!! It’s going to be too hard to ride this Peter out!! Leave now folks, in case Peter comes prematurely.

The eye of Peter is tightening up!! The surge from Peter could drown everyone. Do what your mother would tell you to do, and Don’t Fuck With Peter!!

Now THAT, I could really dig.

Happy Hurricane Season 2009!!

Cheers!!

26 comments:

desert rat said...

I'm thinkin' "Hurricane Ena Lynne" has a nice ring to it! (Although maybe that's not quite bad ass enough.)

Jay said...

I'm pretty psyched for hurricane season too. I take Jim Cantore in my celebrity death pool every year. I really think this year is it. One of those hurricanes is gonna take him out.

katherine. said...

celebrity death poll??

why do we only name hurricanes? Why do we not name tornadoes?

we do name earthquakes...but only if they kill someone...and then by the location of the epicenter. "Loma Prieta" and all.

Hurricane Medusa sounds frightening...

Candice said...

I just poked my fucking eyes out thanks to Carrot Top.

And I've lost my sex drive.

Thanks alot Matt-Man!

Schmoop said...

Candice: See? It kinda works doesn't it? Sorry about the sex drive. Tell the boys down at the pool hall I apologize for their...er...your loss. Cheers Candice!!

Dana said...

I was kind of hoping for a hurricane Dana this year. Being one of those non-gender specific names, I have the opportunity to make the list every year!

I guess I'll just have to make my own, unofficial hurricane.

Schmoop said...

Dana: I am my own Hurricane every Thursday. After too much bagwine, I start involuntarily spinning around counter-clockwise, falling into things and destroying them. Cheers!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

NO NO NO NO

NOT Carrot-top!?!?!?!?!?

Schmoop said...

Bond: Yes Yes Yes Yes...It is a name, a person, a hurricane that all want to avoid. Cheers Vinny!!

Ken said...

I think a Hurricane Bondo would be the most frightning to me.

Schmoop said...

Micky: Ha. That would be a most frightening storm indeed. But at the same time, one that acts most unusually, and at times, pfhunny. Cheers Mick!!

Lu' said...

I hope the season blows hard for you Matt-Man.

Dianne said...

here's something you didn't know about me

in 1955 Hurricane Diane really fucked with the NE, she was one of those hurricanes that dooesn't live by the rules and was bored on the shores of NC so she tripped on up to the big city

Meanwhile a young couple in NY were fighting over which relative they hated the least in order to name their first child

and then the wind began to blow ...

and I've been blowing ever since - of course they fucked up the spelling - but that's Brooklyn

Schmoop said...

Lu: You, my friend, are so kind to me. Cheers Lu!!

Dianne: Ha. That's a cool story. Diane was, oddly enough, quite deadly in spite of its relative lack of punch as far as wind when it hit you guys.

You I am sure, are quite as deadly, but in a hot, sexy way. Cheers Di!!

Michele said...

Having just moved to hurricane central I'm perfectly okay with a Bill or Mindy one. How about I rename it after it passes my house for you?

Schmoop said...

Michele: Awwwwww. You would do that for me? I appreciate it. Just name him or her, Hurricane Michele. Good luck in Houston this season. Cheers!!

Dianne: I meant to tell ya. You lucked out. Had you been born a year earlier, your may have very well been named "Hazel." Oy. Cheers Di!!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...Hurricane Heather (Mills): "Ouch! Damnit, I just got hit by a flyin' leg!"...

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: Ha. And you know damn well Hurricane Heather would be one of the costliest Hurricanes on record. Cheers P-Man!!

Lu' said...

Unlike most hurricanes storm Heather Mills would take the wind out of your sails

Schmoop said...

Lu: True. But she'd still be one crazy bitch of a storm and leave people with much less than prior to what they had prior to her appearance. Cheers!!

Liz Hill said...

Hurricane Joaquin will do a really bad impersonation of a hurricane and then fall off the stage

Schmoop said...

TB: Ha. Very Good. But I would expect no less from a Birthday Girl. Happy Birthday Bay-bay. Cheers!!

metalmom said...

Thanks for Carrot-Top. Now I have to clean my breakfast off of my keyboard.

Ass.

Schmoop said...

Metal: Hey. Hurricane Safety is oft times bitter and and brutal. Cheers Metal!!

Desert Songbird said...

I'm thinking Hurricane Mindy would do well in South Beach. It's a FL kinda name.

Schmoop said...

Songbird: Hurrican Moses might do okay in FL. Put the fear of Yahweh into all of the retired East Coast Jews. Cheers!!