Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Morning Church Disservice: It's Third and Long With Time Running Out

Another cold Sabbath in Bagwine, Ohio and I’ll be working 11-7. Lord, shelter my balls from the frost.

In your name we pray, Amen…

I was watching Dallas play Philadelphia in the NFL playoffs Saturday night after work. I discovered something about myself while watching…

I really don’t give a shit about the playoffs or even the Super Bowl. I was pondering this epiphany, mainly asking myself, “Why do I feel this way?”

I still like watching football in general, but it just doesn’t get me excited like it used to. Hell for the most part, I had the Cowboys/Eagles game on just for background noise while I fiddled on the computer.

Is my ambivalence toward football because players today make obscene amounts of money? No. If a team owner is going to pay a guy who can catch a football more money than God to do so, I say get all you can while you can.

Do I think the NFL is full of thugs, prima donnas and assholes?

Sure, but no more than any other profession or walk of life. We just hear more about the assholes in the NFL because they’re famous and it makes for good TV.

So, I don’t think that’s it.

Perhaps it’s because my favorite team isn’t in the playoffs and has no chance of going to Super Bowl XLIV. That can’t be it, because I don’t really have a favorite team.

Hey, maybe that’s why I have become so blah about football.

Maybe it’s because I don’t have a favorite team. Not having a favorite team offers me nothing to root for…to hope for…and with which to experience the joy of victory and the agony of defeat.

Nahhhhh. I know too many fanatic followers of sports teams in general, and I know I don’t want to be like them.

You know the type…
Cries over a loss. Yells for the coach’s head. Lives vicariously through and believes him or herself to be part of the team by saying things like, We won big today.” or Our defense didn’t bring the A-game today.”

Nope…I don’t want to be like that, so not having a favorite team is not the reason for the lost luster between football and I.

Maybe it’s just simply that what gets me excited these days has changed. It probably is that simple.

Come February 7th, I’ll probably watch a good deal of Super Bowl XLIV no matter who plays, and may even celebrate a little bit.

Of course, most of the celebrating won’t be Super Bowl related, it will be due to the fact that I turn 45 on February 7th as well.

And perhaps, just perhaps…as I turn 45, watching others take the field and score touchdowns no longer does it for me.

At 45, I feel the need to suit up, take the field, and score a few touchdowns myself.

While I still can.

Cheers!!

22 comments:

desert rat said...

I know exactly how you feel.

Schmoop said...

Rat: Well, then I guess you'd better grab your helmet and take the field with me. Cheers Rat!!

David said...

>>>At 45, I feel the need to suit up, take the field, and score a few touchdowns myself.

and by touchdowns...you mean sexual conquests? I'm sensing something Freudian here. hehe How cool that you have Superbowl Sunday for your B-Day!!!

I'm not into the whole TV sports thing. I love going to pretty much any game live but without the arena enthusiasm, I kinda lose interest. I generally watch the superbowl for the commercials and I'm not at all embarrassed to admit that. I'm totally comfortable with my man-self so I can say that.

Cheers Matt-Man

Schmoop said...

David: Eh...I 've had enough sexual conquests and been had by as many. I'm thinking beyond that. The Super Bowl is always a good time...just not all that excited by the game anymore. Cheers David!!

Anonymous said...

Someone has been doing some self-reflecting. Wise thinking.

I don't have a favorite team but I really do like football. My little bro was an awesome RB and I followed his team all through school and I love to watch a good game.

Anonymous said...

I meant to add:

It's just not the same (to me) when no one you know or care about isn't playing. Hence the indifference.

You can Call me AL said...

I haven't watch a single NFL game this year, just don't care for it.

College / High School Football...different story! Love watching kids play for the game, not for the money.

Scott Oglesby said...

I say go for it dude, why not? At the next open tryout for the Bengals or Browns give it a shot! How fast can you run a 40?

I know what would bring you back into the utter derangement of fandom again, and it’s something you probably even haven’t thought of…gambling! All you have to do is bet a whole bunch of money that you don’t have, on a long shot parley, on a game you don’t care about….and you’ll be throwing shit at the TV, screaming for joy, and puking with defeat with everyone else once again! Sounds like a good time doesn’t it? Oh, it is brother…it is!!

Schmoop said...

Lady: Yeah watching someone you know makes a difference. I enjoy basketball much more now that Ryno is playing. And...I hope I get out of this reflective mode soon. Cheers D!!

Al: I haven't watched much pro ball myself this year. I just followed some because I was in a Fantasy League, which thouroughly enjoyed. Maybe that it is because I was actually involved in a way. Cheers Al!!

Schmoop said...

Scott: Ha. If I was talking about me actually playing football that would be a hoot...

"And now Matt-Man, the 6' 175 lb. running back with 7.5 speed in the 40 is in the backfield. Manning hands off to Matt-Man...Ooooooo did Ray Lewis ever lay a smackdown on him. He loses three yards and is now being carried away on a stretcher..."

Ha. I think I'd actually be in more pain if I broke into the secondary and had to run 80 yards for a touchdown. I'd be coughing and puking the entire way there. Cheers Scott!!

Michele said...

Hey, JR's birthday is one day and many years before yours. I can't comment on football because no idea what's going on. And don't really care.

Schmoop said...

Michele: Ha. For the most part, people born in February Rock!! So I guess JR is more than happy to share his Birthday with Ronnie Ray Gun. Cheers Michele!!

Michele said...

Happy isn't the word I would use on how JR feels about sharing a B-day with Ronnie.

Jay said...

I guess the closest thing to "My Team" would be the Texans. Mostly because I was in San Antonio when they were born and basically started rooting for them on day one so that someday when they're good I'll be able to look down on all the people jumping on the bandwagon. Also, I'm kind of a Cardinals fan because they were in St. Louis when I was a kid and I was a St. Louis Cards fan.

Actually I was kind of working on a similar post. I'm really just not a huge NFL fan. Usually about half-way through the season I stop watching games and don't watch again until the playoffs. The playoffs are usually pretty good games. The Super Bowl is more of a marketing event than a football game though.

Gal 'Lis-na said...

Not so much The Superbowl, but football in general brings on the BEST Couch Hockey!
As for 45? Just a puppy to this kitten. Cheers! Make it a Grand day! Cook sumpin nice. Chicken Marsala?

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...is that you or John F.Kennedy sitting by the window?...

Ken said...

If you were handed the ball......

It's Matt-Man, he's going, he's got it, he's through....HE'S GOING ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!

Marilyn said...

Football doesn't do anything for me either.

Schmoop said...

Michele: Ha. I didn't think so. And c'mon JR doesn't share a Birthday with Reagan, Reagan shares it with him. Cheers Michele!!

Jay: I have nothing. There are individual players and coaches I like, but not really a team. And don't get me wrong...I still like football but I can take it or leave it. Cheers Jay!!

Gal: Ha. Yeah couch hockey can be fun. As for making something tonight? I just got home and am freezing. It could be soup tonight. Cheers Gal!!

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: Ha. Ha. I laughed out loud. Cheers P-Man!!

Micky: Maybe if I was playing against St. Rita's School for the Blind. Cheers Mick!!

Marilyn: Eh, I like it. I just don't LOVE it anymore. Cheers Marilyn!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Happy Early Birthday! The Evil Twin turned 50 in July and he still loves football - not a fanatic, but does like to watch. I think it's more for the snax and lounging, tho! LOL.

Schmoop said...

Evil: Ha...He's a good man. That is exactly the reason that I watch it now. Cheers Evil!!