Saturday, May 31, 2008

180 Degrees

Yesterday was kind of odd.

In a good way.

An old friend stopped by, and although she said my posts haven’t been very funny of late, it was great to see her.

And then, later in the day I went to work and was busy as hell. But it was a good kind of busy.

Later that evening, I found out that I made somebody smile. I like that. Quite a bit.

This person smiled because she said, in effect, that she felt as though she was 14 years old again. Giddy…Innocent.

I don’t think any of us want to traverse those years again, but when in brevity, they can be a good feeling.

Those years can be full of hope, promise, and even though many times painful and awkward, in some ways the best of times.

It reminded me of a poem my dad had written. It is a poem about coming of age and venturing beyond the apron strings.

When a site reviews me, I always get knocked for my grammar. They just don’t get it. I write in a style that we speak everyday.

My dad could write sonnets, dissertations, and pentameter someone’s iambic with the best of them…but he was at his best when he wrote as most of us speak.

A poem by my dad that popped into my mind last night, “Triangle”.

I regret to tell you
that I have a date with a girl
much younger than you,

and a bit slimmer.
She’s very pretty, dresses mod,
and she smiles
the way you smiled,
once upon a time.
Perhaps that is why
I asked her to join me
at the Pizza Hut
for Coke, and the fourteen inch deluxe.

Since you let your daughter
stay out until midnight
and you get sleepy
after the eleven o’clock news
don’t wait up for us.

Say what you will, I think it is simplistic beauty. Here’s to you Dad!!

And now, the Bagwine Ruminations Comment of the Week…



This week’s comment comes to us courtesy of that Bejeweled Breast Queen, and her words from yesterday.

Leighann of Pessimists Need Love Too commented on my post from yesterday about the number of lovers we have all had. The average number being nine.

I laughed out loud when Leighann commented:

“I’m still a virgin.”

Why did I laugh? Because even if she didn’t have four kids, you know damn well somebody would have at some point, scaled those twin peaks!!

So here’s to you for ropin’ this week’s COW.

Please congratulate Leighann by clicking HERE.

Have a great Saturday everybody. And of course…

Cheers!!

38 comments:

Jay said...

Your dad had talent. That's an awesome poem!

Who cares about the grammar Nazis?

Leighann RAWKS!

Schmoop said...

Jay: Thanks and yes, Leighann does have great rawks...I mean she Rawks.

My dad wrote very well, and like I said, he knew "all of the poetry rules" but wrote in a conversational style for the most part. Cheers my good man!!

j said...

LOVE the poem that your Dad wrote. I hope that you share more of his poetry sometimes.

Jen

Schmoop said...

Jen: Hiya Jen. I have in the past, and will again soon, because this coming Thursday would have been, or I guess it still is, his birthday. Cheers!!

katherine. said...

I like when you share your dad's stuff.

coming of age...and being awkward..painful...and having everything out there before you....kinda where Ryno is now...

Schmoop said...

Kat: Yeah. And unfortunately, I think Ryno, although very well adjusted, tends to hide his feelings much like his dad. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

grrrreat poem matt-man

Schmoop said...

Nurse: Why thanks. I thought it was very well put as far as what a kid would think. Cheers!!

Unknown said...

I did not know that your father was a poet. So it is from him that you have inherited your artistic talents.

Dana said...

CONGRATULATIONS Bejeweled Breast Queen Leighann!! I have no doubt you'll enjoy fondling that udder!!

As we get older, we tend to laugh less - take life far too seriously. Giving people the gift of laughter is a special talent, and you do it for many of us daily.

Your Dad's poem? Simply elegant - and it made me smile!

Schmoop said...

Dana: He was a great guy, and I'll be posting more this week cuz his B-Day is Thursday. We all need to laugh more, don't we? Cheers Dana!!

Odat said...

I'm glad you added one more person to you "smile" list.....you make us smile every day!
I like to read "the way we speak"......

Sweet poem....

Congrats to Leighann, well deserved!

Peace

Schmoop said...

Nick: How dare I skip over you. Yep, that's where I get my writing ability. Unfortuantely, I got bad teeth, a bald head, and weight flucuation from my mom. Cheers Nick!!

Schmoop said...

Odat: If I make one person smile per day I consider my life a success. Thanks and have a great Saturday buddy. Cheers!!

Cheesy said...

^5 Leighann~~!

Smiles are the bestest things we can share,,,Even beter than the clap~

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: Ha You kill me. Cheers Cheesy!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Leighann isn't a virgin? Damn, I BELIEVED that bitch! Congrats WW!

Love the poem. Let's hear more!

Schmoop said...

RLL: She is one schemein' biotch. Have a great weekend and Cheers!!

Leighann said...

I've been humbled by a C.O.W.

and yet find confirmation of my awesomness in your words!

Thanks for bestowing your meaty goodness upon me brutha!

Love the poem from your dad, seeing how you turned out lets us all know that he was one hell of a man!

xoxo

Schmoop said...

Leighann: Why thank you. And congrats...You are so very COW worthy. Cheers Leighann!!

Dianne said...

I took Leighann at her word! I believed, in my simple manner, that the things were miracles. the kids! not the ta-tas! we KNOW those are miracles.

Congrats my twisted sister.

Dad's poem is a delight Matt. Made me smile just as you do.

Anonymous said...

Grammar sucks. I've never been much of a fan. The poem was very lovely thank you for sharing with us.

Ken said...

Plenty of simplistic beauty, smiles and giddy feelings, but not a danm thing funny, other than what Leighann wrote last week.
[congrats Leighann]
Your friend is right!
I hope you didn't get whacked up the side of your head with a SERIOUS stick!
[love the poem]

Schmoop said...

Dianne: She had us all fooled I thought she WAS a virgin. Then again, I thought Hitler appreciated the tastiness of the bagel. Cheers!!

LadyJaye: I are not muchly a fan of grammar stuff neither. Cheers!!

Micky: Y'know...Sometimes you just frickin' annoy me. ; ) Cheers Mick!!

Lex Valentine said...

Congrats to Leighann! I wonder why such a comment never occurred to me to say? Still looking for the skank avatar...

Schmoop said...

Winter: Ha. Find it dammit. We want to see you for the skank that you are. Cheers!!

Desert Songbird said...

Great words from your dad. You inherited his talent.

Sometimes, simplicity of words is the best choice.

Ed & Jeanne said...

It's hard to work 'Pizza Hut' into a great poem! Here's to your Dad!

Ken said...

That sounded a little serious, but I just noticed the little winky smile face you put after that. I hope that means I haven't gone over the edge.

I really did like the poem and your fortunate to have stuff like that to remember your dad with.
My dads been gone about 20 years. I was 35 when he left us and I still miss him SO much. He did all his own work and everybody loved him. He'd do anything to help. I miss him, something awful, because I'm trying to be just like him.

desert rat said...

What a wonderful poem. I recall you featured one of your father's books in your recent video - I am looking forward to more.

Congratulations to Leighann for roping the COW! LOL.

Matt-Man, your posts almost always make me laugh, always make me smile and once in a while make me cry. That's why I keep coming back for more!

Have a great weekend, m'dear!

Liz Hill said...

The apple didn't fall far from the tree sugar. SmOOCH

Tug said...

Old friends are wonderful, and always appreciated - even when we may not like what they say, they speak the truth because of trust. I love that.

Also loved your dad's poem...

Congrats Leighann! I think by now I'm a virgin also (it DOES grow back, right?) ;-)

Jeff B said...

I like Turnbaby's comment.

And congrats to the queen of the twin peaks!

Schmoop said...

Hi Y'all...Thanks for the comments but I must get ready for work. And Mick, you never annoy me, you silly man, you. Cheers All!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

You write like you talk. I write like I talk. Wanna know who else used that style? JD Salinger. The critics can kiss our asses :P

But they gotta pay us for that honor!

Travis Cody said...

Two things...

Thing the first - your Dad had a wonderful talent and I thank you for sharing it with us every once in awhile.

Thing the second - I find your blog to be something like a M*A*S*H episode. Sometimes you make me laugh until I can't breathe. And then sometimes you pull me up short with a bit of earnest thought for me to consider.

I appreciate both those things.

Schmoop said...

Starr: That was a great comment, and dead on the money. Cheers Starr!!

Travis: And you followed Starr's with another one. I don't know if I am worthy of that, but dammit, thank you very, very much. Cheers Travis!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

My life's goal is to be a well adjusted Holden =)