Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 15th: A Non-Day...Or is It?

October 15th…It really doesn’t conjure up anything exciting, does it?

It’s not like other days in October such as Halloween on the 31st…Thanksgiving Day in Canada this past October 13th …and my son’s birthday which falls next week on the 24th.

It’s as though we should just skip October 15th.

October 15th is to me, a non-day…Or is it?

I had my crack staff research this day in history, and to see if there are any special observances taking place today.

Well, slap me on the ass and call me Sally. October 15th is butt cheek deep in Gregorian calendar grandeur.

On this day in 1917, the sexy, leggy, World War I German spy, Mata Hari was executed by a French firing squad. I think the big news here is that the French soldiers actually hit her.

October 15, 1935 Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie called for a Holy War against Mussolini’s Italian army that had seized the city of Aksum. In spite of their drunkenness and themselves, the Italians remained in control of the country.

October 15th wasn’t a good day for rotund, cross-dressing Nazi, Hermann Goering. On this day in 1946, he committed “suicide” rather than being hung the next day.

Actually, Goering was eating his last meal which consisted of a side of beef, wiener schnitzel, and three dozen potato pancakes.


The pantyhose, girdle, and bra that he was wearing became so tight that his breathing and circulation shut down.

I guess that due to the nature of Goering’s demise, October 15th should also be known as Auto-Erotic Self Asphyxiation Day.

There are a few birthdays today as well. Sarah Ferguson, former Duchess of York. Penny Marshall, former brewery worker.

And of course, Richard Carpenter, who unlike his late sister Karen, remains un-corpse like looking prior to his death.

There are a couple of observances going down today. October 15th is White Cane Safety Day…If you’re blind and are reading this, make sure that your cane is sturdy and true.

Funny thing is…October 8th was World Sight Day. Hey blind folks!! WTF? You want October all to your sightless selves or what? Some of us would like to see the pretty fall foliage, dammit…so back off.

I found this next observance quite fascinating…

Today, my friends, is National Grouch Day. So have at it bitches, and piss a few people off. It’s your day.

Finally, tonight marks the third and final debate between Barack “Had Sex with Bill Ayres” Obama and John “I Got Nothin’, but I was a POW, You Ungrateful Motherfuckers” McCain.

For many Americans, knowing that this is the final debate may be the highlight of the day because it means the campaigning is coming to an end.

No matter your politics, I hope you all watch and listen.

One programming note…Tomorrow is my only day off for awhile, so I am going to make it special. Tomorrow’s post will be, Ask the Matt-Man.


I will field any and all questions that you may have for me in the comments section, in near real time.

So think of a question for me, but don’t ask me until tomorrow’s post. It can be personal, sexual, political, or religional. Anything at all.

Enjoy your October 15th, make it as special as it appears to be.


Cheers!!

36 comments:

Anndi said...

FIRST?

Anndi said...

Wooohooo! I was first!

The French are good at hitting on pretty women, dear...

Schmoop said...

Anndi: Very good point. And isn't it fun being the First Lady? Cheers Anndi!!

Unknown said...

I would have been SECOND if Anndi hadn't gobbled that up too!

Anndi said...

Matt, It's those little things that make life so titillating.

Sorry Nick, the excitement was overwhelming! ;)

Liz Hill said...

Well it does look like he has a little smile there;-)

So ANYTHING huh?*wicked grin*

Christo Gonzales said...

the ides of october...beware the ides of october....

Ken said...

I'll take this non-day very seriously and do all that I can, to do absolutly nothing.

Lu' said...

Grump Day, damn it I forgot. shit. I should have worn one of my Grumpy shirts. I find that I am a little less grumpy than in years past. I'll have to work on that :(

Schmoop said...

Nick: Well Nick, you know how greedy those Canadians can be. Cheers!!

Anndi: You said, "titillating"...hee hee. Cheers!!

TB: Ha. I noticed that too. Yes anything. Are you ging to make me regret this? Cheers TB!!

Schmoop said...

Doggy: Et tu, Doggy? Cheers!!

Micky: Good Man. Be all the nothingness you can be today. Cheers Mick!!

Lu: I am less grumpy as well. Let's see if we can both recapture that magic. Cheers, Lu!!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...this post was butt-cheek deep with facinating info...seriously...pantyhose in the forties?...methinks not....

Schmoop said...

Phfrankie: It's true. The Nazis merely took lederhosen to their extreme and obvious conclusion. Cheers!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ooooohh! A Dear Matty Day. That could be enlightening. Frightening even.

National Grouch Day virtually insures McPOW a win at the debate. Doesn't it? Are we THAT ungrateful?!

Oh and once again I'd like the other half of my brain back. Today's post at my place features cross dressing as well. But mine blow Herman out of the water with their awesomeness. Plus they have Kidlet.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Shit.

My Enlighten/Frighten rhyme has now firmly lodget Ballroom Blitz in my head.

Schmoop said...

Starr: Ha. There's a musical blast from the past. Wow. I think Obama has goaded McCain into mentioning Ayres tonight. We'll see what the O-Man has prepared in response. Cheers!!

Karen said...

10/15 happens to be a big day in Karen history. It is the anniversary of my engagement - but since we didn't make it to the wedding, we really don't celebrate much. I can't believe that wasn't in wikipedia!

Schmoop said...

Karen: Ha. I can see how it would be a day of non-celebration for you. I'll make sure to update the wikipedia entry for you. Cheers Karen!!

Cheesy said...

10/15~~ The day Cheesy gets lucky! Slap MY ass!
heheheh

Schmoop said...

Cheesy: Well good for you. Smack, Smack, Smack. Cheers Cheesy!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Dammit, I thought last Wednesday was Piss People Off Day! I hate that I wasted it.

Happy 15th!

Schmoop said...

RLL: Maybe it was, but for me that is everyday for me. Cheers!!

Knight said...

I was going to say that is it also a full moon tonight but it might be waning already. Did you grow extra hair recently?

Schmoop said...

Knight: Me? Extra Hair? Hahahaha. You ARE funny. Cheer sKnight!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Maybe she meant your palms ;)

Schmoop said...

Starr: Ha. Aren't you clever. Why I oughta. Cheers!!

Dana said...

I think it's quite ironic that National Grouch Day is right on the heels of Boss' Day!

Cinnamon Girl said...

HAH!

And Dana has a good point ;)

Schmoop said...

Dana: And not too far removed from Sweetest Day. Uh-Huh. Cheers Dana!!

Starr: Indeed. Cheers!!

Schmoop said...

Evil: Have at it. I'm sure you won't disappoint. Cheers EG!!

Meg said...

What?! A day off after a debate. What we will do?!!!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

Hey, only 12 more years and today will be 10-15-20. I live for logical sequence...

Marilyn said...

Grouch Day! I can get behind that one.

I'm looking forward to the debate and hoping McCain says something really dumb. Very unsportsman like of me but I'm not a sportsman so that's okay.

I've now had two people knock on my door to tell me who to vote for. They're motivated this year. My door isn't so easy to find.

Schmoop said...

Fanatsy: Ask a question about the debate tomorrow. I'll be right here. Cheers!!

VE: Which I find illogical seein how you are full of fantastical nonsense. Cheers!!

Marilyn: Ha. No voter will go unturned this year. Cheers and here's to a McCain flub!!

katherine. said...

oh I love trash....

anything dirty or dingy or dusty

anything ragged or rotten or rusty ...

Schmoop said...

Kat: Oscar was my hero while growing up. Cheers!!