Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Three Point Field Goals and Two Point GPA's

My kid finished school last week and we got his grade card, and...

Another less than stellar performance turned in by Ryno. At least he’s consistent. If only he would learn to pay attention and hand shit in.

Oh well, I can delight in the fact that I have a son who next school year, will be the smartest “barely C” sophomore student in his school.

On the upside, in addition to being a bright, sensitive, and uber funny 15 year old, the boy will in all likelihood be playing on the varsity basketball team this coming year.

Even though only a sophomore this fall, he may start at shooting guard or small forward. He’s already working at it.

Hell, the basketballers including Ryno, already have practice and/or weightlifting three times a week. He loves it.

I mentioned that this past weekend he had a basketball camp. Over the weekend his school played seven games against various teams from around the state.

In seven games playing with the varsity team against other varsity teams, he scored 66 points for an average of 9.4 points a game. But, here’s the amazing thing…

His 66 points? They were a result of 22, 3-point shots. Damn right.

His coach, when seeing that Ryno was open or even somewhat open, would yell, “Pop it, Mahoney.”

And pop it he did. The boy can shoot. And his defense? Bobby Knight would consider him gold. Or as Ryno says:

“I am The Glove. Oh sure Dad, some say Gary Payton was The Glove when he played, but I make Gary Payton look like The Mitten.”

Oy…If only his grade point average was as big as his ego. And you know what perplexes me?

I still don’t know where the hell he got that big ego trait?

If ever there was a person who is without ego, it is me. Man, the acorn fell far from the tree on that one. Right?

Have a wonderful day all. I have a another hot, sweaty 10-9 shift at the Beer Mine today, but it’s all good.

There may be some outstandingly huge and sweaty cleavage coming through. I’d like seeing that…

But not nearly as much as seeing Ryno get all A’s and B’s this coming school year.

Cheers!!

19 comments:

Dana said...

Who knew ego was genetic??

Congrats to Ryno on the basketball kudos, but damn! Get those grades up to the 3-point range!!

Schmoop said...

Dana: Getting the grades are all up to him. He can get straight A's in everything (well, Math has always been a legitimate struggle) if HE WANTS to. It's frustrating. Cheers Dana!!

Candice said...

You have a jock as a son. Who knew? ;)

Clay Perry said...

since he loves basketball so much talk the coach into a false threat to bench him. that might scare him into living up to his potential...

Schmoop said...

Candice: Ha. He's hardly a jock. He is an incredibly self-deprecating court jeaster like his dad who oddly enough has the innate ability to sink baskets from 20+ feet away from the hoop. Cheers Candice!!

Clay: Yeah. He respects his coach and his coach is on his ass about grades all the time, but thus far, that hasn't worked very well either. Cheers Clay!!

Mike said...

We can all get together to help Ryno get his grades up. I'll start by trying to hack into the schools data base.

Scott Oglesby said...

An ego finely crafted into an unshakeable confidence is an amazing gift.

Who is Ryno rooting for in the finals?

Ca88andra said...

None of my three boys like/d studying and their grades often showed it. But they all love sport! Congrats to your son for his baskets - perhaps the NBA needs him???

Michele said...

Here's the thing. My youngest was a less than inspired student during high school. Then he hit college an aced it. Why? Because high school was boring. There was no challenge and he wasn't interested in the courses. Not to mention a good majority of the teachers were idiots or had to dumb down the material for the idiot students. Where was I going with this? Oh right, Ryno will find his stride. It just might take him awhile. Unfortunately, he may get passed up for scholarships while he's pissing around.

Sorry I was so long winded.

Michele said...

Oh but congrats on all the basketball stuff. It was all good right? You know how I am with sports.

Schmoop said...

Mike: You are too kind, and I am sure Ryno has thought of that. Cheers Mike!!

Scott: True. He is mildly rooting for the Lakers. He is still bruised over the Cavs being knocked out. Cheers Scott!!

Ca88ndra: An NBA paycheck would be nice, but being prepared for more likely events of trying to find a more standard job is nice too. Cheers Ca88!!

Schmoop said...

Michele: Yeah I know...and we hear that from his teachers as well. He just doesn't pay attention. we've tried everything. We shall work on it over the summer. And yeah, his sports stuff was all good. Cheers Michele!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My son is not really athletic - he does like playing soccer sometimes. But, he did exit the 6th grade with a 3.75 GPA (damn that difficult Spanish class he didn't really "get", even though I speak it fluently, he wouldn't let me explain things to him).

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...did you get the rilly big worm yet?...

Marilyn said...

I had a hard time in high school and did really well in college. Ryno is going to be fine. Hate this parenting thing though... you always have to worry.

The Dish said...

I am from a long line of b-ballers. My Dad played in college. I, unfortunately, am the shortest female of my family at 5'7", and was graced with 2 left feet.

Lu' said...

This is so true, I've never known anyone to have less of an ego problem than you. I mean your ego rules, you know it and it's all good hee hee :)

Schmoop said...

Evil: Good for him. My son did fine grade wise until about the 7th or 8th grade...I think he's mixed up with evil hooligans i his private Christian School. Cheers ETW!!

Phfrankie: No, but I did pass the idea along. It was met with a blank look. Cheers P-Man!!

Marilyn: The frustrating thing is that he is just doesn't pay attention and "forgets" to hand things in which kill his grade. Cheers Marilyn!!

Schmoop said...

Dish: Ha. Ryno hopes to play at the college level as well, of course he has to be admitted to one!! Cheers Dish!!

Lu: Ha Very good. Why I oughta. Cheers Pal!!